'Medal of Honor - Frontline' - a GameCube owner needs guidance!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I own and love Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and around the time MoH:F came out for the PS2, I was disappointed that I couldn't get a piece of that action, having enjoyed the PC incarnation so much. Now I see that a Cube-shaped port is available, and I'm very tempted to whet my WWII FPS whistle. But first, I need to have the following questions answered:
    -I've heard bad things about EA ports. Sloppy. Bad coding. Not as good as the original game etc... But the few reviews I've read are complementary. Is it a good port?
    -Is it sufficiently different from AA? Quite similar wouldn't bother me, but very similar would piss me off.
    -How bad is the save feature (or lack there of). Are the missions that hard that it's impossible to complete them in one sitting without getting whacked?
    -I'm not really into console FPS games. Goldeneye and Turok 1 and 2 were my only forays into the genre prior to considering this purchase. But I love PC FPS games! With that in mind, and that I've played and loved the 3 FPS N64 titles above, do you think the Frontline control system is frustrating?
    I've been burned on the last 3 Cube titles I've purhcased. Even though there's 2 or 3 I love, I've been rather disappointed with some of the major releases so far, so If there's even a chance I'll be disappointed, I'll pass.
    Thanks for the help!

2. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

>>>>>I've heard bad things about EA ports. Sloppy. Bad coding. Not as good as the original game etc... But the few reviews I've read are complementary. Is it a good port?

It's supposedly a decent port, but the actual game they ported is pretty mediocre.

>>>>How bad is the save feature (or lack there of). Are the missions that hard that it's impossible to complete them in one sitting without getting whacked?

You may feel a bit disoriented if you're used to saving every 3 seconds in PC games, but the save frequency is fine. Don't worry too much about beating a mission in a sitting. I was in a hurry to finish the PS2 ver. so I could sell it and I almost finished the whole GAME in one sitting.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I play MOH:AA/Spearhead religously and am also borrowing Frontline for PS2. As for storyline and level design it's pretty different. There's this one part when you're in a sub in FL and a cook is throwing knives at you. [​IMG] You want see that in AA.
    I know people might complain it's unfair to compare these two in this category but I'm gonna say it anyway; the control on the controller just sucks! I stopped playing Frontline a while ago for this reason, despite the great graphics and sound. But I have to admit the PS2 has the least accurate analog sticks of the 4 next gen systems.
    EA makes cool FPS's with lotsa neat features but they really need to work on the control for the consoles. I just bought 007: Nightfire for the Xbox (also EA made) and while the X controller is more accurate when shoosting an enemy, it's a pain in the ass while trying to strafe, even with an automatic gun and auto-aim turned ON. But this is me talking after just beating Halo again. I think that and Goldeneye for N64 have the best control ever for console FPS's. Is it that hard for EA to learn from them?
    If you like the control on the GC controller please inform us.