MechAssault Review up at IGN!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Flynn, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

MechAssault Review
    I don't have an Insider account, but I heard it got a 9.2!
    I'm definitely pre-ordering this tomorrow!

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

No Insider account either. Everything I've seen looks good. Hopefully some of the other sites will have reviews up soon.

3. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    Closing Comments
    MechAssault is an action fan's dream game. It doesn't have all the options you'd want, but it does not get old. Every night I play MechAssault and every day I'm thinking about getting home so I can get in my mech again. I've listed plenty of complaints about how the online package was put together, but don't let that deter you. MechAssault online is about as good as it gets (for now). It could have been even better. The promise of downloadable content only sweetens the honey in the pot. MechAssault is a glimpse at the future of Xbox. A future fast approaching. Though some presentation elements are lacking, the game overall is absolutely worth your money. Anyone who has Xbox Live needs this game. And any mech fan without Live will still have fun, though the game itself is a little undervalued without Live. This is one of the first online Xbox games, so it's understandable that it's not perfect. And while other, perhaps better Live games are in the works, MechAssault will see you through the cold days of winter and right on into summer. Halo 2 is a year away, until then make mine MechAssault.
    -- Hilary Goldstein

Presentation
    A ton of mechs, a good single-player mode and a nice interface. It would have been nice to see more options for Live and even some customization, but I guess you can never have it all. 7.0
    Graphics
    Though there are some moments of slowdown, this is one pretty game. Great mech animations, amazing particle effects, and I never tire of blowing up buildings. 9.0
    Sound
    Those with 5.1 will go deaf cranking up the volume on this beast. Fantastic sound effects and a solid score, but no customizable soundtracks. And please, stop with the voice masking! 9.0
    Gameplay
    Straight-up action. At times it almost seems too simple, but there is certainly strategy here. It's amazing how fresh the game feels no matter how often you play it. 8.0
    Lasting Appeal
    Plenty of mechs to enjoy, Xbox Live, and future downloadable content. More multiplayer modes would help, but there's no denying everyone will be playing this game online for the next year. 10.0
    OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.2

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yea, I'm all over this one.
    What's the release date?

5. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

I think the release date here in the US is either the 12th or the 13th of this month. Just in time for Xbox Live on the 15th.

6. Peter O

Peter O Stunt Coordinator

Full review can be found here.
    No customized soundtracks [​IMG]
    Let's hope it at least supports 16x9.

7. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I already have this baby pre-ordered!

8. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

The angel on my right shoulder is telling me it was wrong to post the text of a locked review in a public forum. But the devil on my left is doing cartwheels and generally acting like a lunatic after reading that review. [​IMG]

9. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

10. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

11. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I'll probably end up buying this to play on XBox Live but I'm disappointed that you can't customize your mechs. It does sound like a great game despite this.

12. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Can this game be played via system link? And does it have a split screen multi player mode?

13. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes to both

15. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I forsee buildings crushing many of my fellow HTFers.

16. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

fellas,

I CANT WAIT!!! I agree with Chris, I dont know how the hell Im gonna find time to play MechAssault, Unreal, Ghost Recon, Capcom vs SNK, and Splinter Cell!!!

I could do without a disease..but perhaps breaking my leg or something? Just not my hands!! (its horrible I know, but Id almost take a break to guarantee a week full of online gaming!!)

17. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

I'm going to start with MechAssult. I'm new to this whole online thing, believe it or not, so I'm gonna take it nice and slow [​IMG] ...
    Freddy C.

18. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I've only done online gaming on my Mac (Unreal Tourney)...but this game sounds like it's going to force me to get XboxLive!

19. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

20. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I was going to wait to get Xbox live but i may need to pick it up with this game to duke it out with you guys. Now i just need to run a network cable halfway around the house to my room :)

capt