What's new

mechanical or electronic help needed for dead Sony dvd player (1 Viewer)

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
About 6 months ago my Sony DVP-S3000 stopped working. I turned it on to eject a disc, and the unit powered up...made a clicking noise from the tray-area, and then powered off.

I unpluggd the unit, took the case off and manually removed the disc. I did some questioning around town to find out prices for fixing the unit, and I was quoted $100-200 (ballpark). They never knew what was wrong with it... just gave me an idea. Warranty on the machine would be 90 days from service. I deceided to get a new unit (DVD-A and progressive scan).

I have the next 8 days off for holidays, and I got the urge to open the old sucker up and see if there is anything that I can do. It still makes a clicking sound then powers off.

After taking the unit completely apart, I put it back together again...and still the same thing. Does anyone here have any experience with what is wrong? I would consider ordering a part and replacing it myself (if the part was a resonable price). I would love to get this unit back for another room...and to satisfy my craving to fix it.

Thanks all.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This is usually pretty tough stuff for us non-technical types. However, since it happened when you pushed the eject button, it sounds like something is jamming the drawer’s gear track. Look for anything that might be jamming the path, anything out of alignment, etc. You might try powering it up while the cover is off and trying to see exactly where the clicking is coming from when you push the eject button.

Good Luck! Let us know what you find.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks