Measured Response: A Kudo to Blockbuster

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scooter, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Let me state up front...I am NO fan of BB! That being said...
    Saw an item on the news last night regards media/entertainment responses to the WTC attacks. As opposed to eradicating ANY reference to the WTC or action/violent movies overall..BB has opted for a sticker system letting customers know that there is content in said material that could be offensive or compelling to those sensitive to the WTC attack.
    With so many instances of wiping out any and all references to the WTC and action flicks/TV shows/media, I appreciate a sensitive but measured effort regards things. I have found it troubling that there is this penchant to obliterate any references to the WTC in SOOO many things, (For example the "Spiderman" trailer) that something like BB's effort shows thought, not knee jerk.
    Again...not a big fan of this company at all..but I felt this was worth noting.
    ------------------
    "The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
    David Manning-Critic
    Scooter-Palooza 2..Be There or Be Square!
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../030866.html#5

2. Brian_Hitchlock

Brian_Hitchlock Auditioning

I don't think this is a Kudo worthy action. From what press I have read, the labelling program being introduced by Blockbuster will be for new releases only. So far the only movie to be labelled will be Swordfish.
    While the sentiment might be laudable, this seems to be more a matter of hopping on the "corporate sensitivity" bandwagon. If they were really concerned they would be labelling all of the older releases already on shelves.

3. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Yeah, you think they'd be labeling movies like The Towering Inferno, and the Die Hard flicks. With only Swordfish being labeled thus far, I get the feeling that this is BB's response to Warner's decision to make SF a sell-through only title. I know that sounds cynical, but it's probably true...
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

5. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    The report I saw indicated this was company and inventory wide and happening now. Swordfish isn't released yet is it?If, indeed, this relates ONLY to this title...I retract my congrats.
    ------------------
    "The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
    David Manning-Critic
    Scooter-Palooza 2..Be There or Be Square!
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../030866.html#5

6. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter