What's new

Meaning of ICONs. (1 Viewer)

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
When there has been a dramatic change in the software and appearance of a forum--like just occurred at hometheaterforum--it's generally a good idea to supply a tutorial, so we know what all these new icons mean.

How am I supposed to know what a blue light bulb means (just as a for instance?)

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Momentarily placing your mouse over an icon should bring up a yellow alt box that explains the icon's function (depending on your browser).

Adam

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Hold your mouse pointer over the icon and you'll get a tooltip appear telling you what it does.

Of course, that's with IE. Other browsers may vary or do nothing at all.

The bulb is your online indicator.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I'm using IE 6, and I don't get any yellow tool tip when I hold the mouse over an icon in a forum thread list. What does an envelope with a dot in it mean? IE won't display the caption for it. :frowning:

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I believe it says somewhere on the screen. Rather usefully the dot means that you have posted in that topic.
The lightbulb kind of confused me but mainly because I got used to the 'i' symbol before they changed it. :D

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Max:

At the bottom of each forum listing page is a legend that tells you want each folders stands for.

Parker

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Speaking of icons, I have to say I like these new icons before each post that I'm seeing today for the first time. The text with the icon helps a lot. But, even the new icon itself is quicker to understand.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I even knew what the original icons stood for, but since I don't click on them that often I still kept finding myself searching for the edit icon. These are so much better I don't even need the text. But, the text certainly helps those who are new to the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks