What's new

Meager $300 speaker budget (1 Viewer)

autzennoise

Auditioning
Real Name
Casey
Can someone make a recommendation or tell a noob where to start? My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-522.

Thanks for any help. Trying to get away from my HTiaB.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you are in CT, there is a forum member selling a set of Polk TL(look in the sale/trade forum). Shipping should, at worst, make them $200(he wants $125, I think...which is fair).Then PartsExpress has the Dayton sub1000 for $100.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Newegg had the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system for $279 with free shipping, but I don't know if it's still that price. Very highly rated and popular system.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Trying to move up from a HTiB with $300 is tough for a complete 5.1 set.

Some of the options may sound better(depends on which HTiB you are using?) but with 3.5 to 3.75" woofers you may find them hard pressed to offer clean output

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Don't forget to check the used market for speakers and subwoofers. Used speakers are a great option on a short budget or even a large one. As long as it hasn't been abused, a 5-10 year old speaker or sub will sound as good today as it did when it was new. I bought my Adire Rava sub used years ago for a ridiculously low price and it is still going strong today. Ditto for my Vandersteen Model 2C mains and VCC-1 center.

US AudioMart, Audiogon and the for-sale boards here on HTF, AC and other HT/audio forums are good options. Just make sure to do your research and don't buy on a whim. Know what your buying before you hand over your money and check the seller's history/feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks