What's new

Me and You and Everyone We Know (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I'm not sure how many of you up here have heard about this movie, but I just wanted to touch upon it just to let you all know that it is out there. I went to see it this past Saturday and I just thought it was the best movie I'd seen in a long while.

The plot is very hard to describe, but that may be a good thing because the less you know going in, the better it might be. But think "Punch-Drunk Love" meets "Sideways" and you might have a good idea of what this movie is about.

I first heard about this movie about a month and a half ago on Ebert & Roeper, when they gave it two huge thumbs up, and from that moment on, the moment it played in Pittsburgh, PA, the moment I would go and see it. I found it playing at the Manor theater, which for Pittsburgh residents is located in Squirrel Hill, over the weekend and finally decided to check it out.

The movie is quite funny, but it is also very touching as well, and the performances all around are very good, espcially from Miranda July, who also wrote and directed the film. This is the first film she has made, and she looks and sounds a lot like Maggie Gyllenhall to me. It's also a remarkably good film for a first-timer. It's a strange and quirky little film that for me seems to be the best movie I've seen all year. That statement is just my opinion, as like "Punch-Drunk Love" and "Sideways", it's a love it or hate it type of picture, although unlike the other two, it might have a slight middle ground, although I wouldn't count on that either.

Anyway, if "Me and You and Everyone We Know" is playing at a theater near you, I highly recommend that you at least check it out. If you have already seen it, I highly recommend that you post your comments up here about it.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I've wanted to see this for months, planned to go but ended up seeing Mysterious Skin instead (the only film to play at fewer theaters, I think). I still hope to catch it before it leaves, but doing so requires a long drive to the city, and I also want to see Chumscrubber, Junebug, and 2046, all playing at only the far-away art theaters.

Sigh.

John-Paul

Grip
I'm going to see it tomorrow as it is FINALLY playing near-by (not too close but not too far either). I'll make sure to post my review tomorrow.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I saw it a second time last week. I still consider it an uncommonly fine and complex work that expands in the mind.

Innocence has never been better understood on film. That's a broad statement, but there is so much to the movie that it's hard to sum up any more specifically.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
One of the biggest laughs I've heard all year in the theater is when the little boy meets the museum lady.
The local university paper reviewer had complained that the film lacked characters that we could care about, a commment that completely baffled me. Watching a movie like this in the summer is to be reminded how simple things can bring a lot of pleasure.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Kirk, I added a spoiler to your post. I suspect one of the reasons that moment gets such a laugh is that it catches most viewers by surprise.

M.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I was pretty disappointed with the movie. There are some absolutely wonderful parts like the scene Kirk mentioned (and also involving the 2 teenaged girls), but I pretty much hated Christine.

From the getgo when she acts like a stalker to Richard, she has an absolutely annoying quirky neediness. Change the sexes and how would a woman feel if a strange man watched and followed you all over the store, waited for you outside, engaged you in a totally unnatural conversation about the distance = various stages of a relationship, THEN jumps uninvited into your car. It makes it no less creepy to have a woman do that.

(And Nicholas' description of "Punch Drunk Love" meets "Sideways" may be telling -- I HATED the former and thought the latter highly overrated.)

I would say I take the middle ground on the film -- I'm glad I saw it, but too much annoyed me. C+ from me.

John-Paul

Grip
I gave it :star: :star: :star: 1/2. Almost perfect. Definately the best movie I've seen this summer ("Garden State" got that award last year) but that might change if I get to see "Broken Flowers" before summer's end. However, being the best movie I've seen this summer isn't much of a compliment being that the other 2 movies I've seen this summer were "Bewitched" and "Mrs. and Mrs. Smith) which were horrible ("Smith" more than "Bewitched") and definately not my choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks