Me and my uncle starting building a tempest sonotube and need some help on ports

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Parker, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Scott Parker

Scott Parker Agent

Alright, we went out and bought a 12' piece of 24" sonotube yesterday. And I just ordered my Tempest a couple minutes ago. We figured we'd cut it into 3 pieces makes 3 4' subs. Were wondering what to do with the ports. Dan's design suggested we put 2 4" 17" ports on the bottom, but I figured wouldn't it be easier to just put 'em on the top. That way we can save room for some nice beefy legs. We were thinking 4" PVC caps. Does it matter where you put 'em. And if I wasn't gonna do 2 4" flared, could I just put a 6" port on the top that wasn't flared, pvc or something. We're going with the MDF for the endcaps, and 2 glued together for the bottom, just to let ya know. Okay couple more questions, what's the difference in a class AB amp and a class D amp, parts express has both. Is the #300-794 about the same as the AVA250? I guess I would need them to defeat the bass boost at 30hz for me right, and is the rumble filter okay or can I get that taken off too. Okay im done, thanx

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jack, ermm...you know something we don't know? [​IMG]

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,
    PVC tube and hampsters are Richard Gere's domain, aren't they?[​IMG]
    Brian

5. Scott Parker

Scott Parker Agent

Aight, that's cool I didn't really think the placement mattered either, I just wanted to know for sure. So what do you guys think about the partsexpress amp, its $50 bucks cheaper for what looks like the same thing aside from the bass boost. They still haven't emailed me back about whether or not they could defeat the bass boost or not.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    IIRC, the PE 300-794 has the bass boost defeated. If not, PE will send you the resistors to do it. They are also very helpful at the PE Tech Talk Board.

-Robert

7. Scott Parker

Scott Parker Agent

Alright, one more thing, poly batting. I've been looking around for some options and I found this one store with 2 different densities. I think they're both around 1 and a quarter, should I go for the more dense one. Or should I just pick up some polyfill at walmart and stuff it in there? And if I went the poly batting way, would 1 layer be enough, cause I read one guy used 3 layers. How do you glue all those together?

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer