Me and my house are a blank canvas

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by slockm, Sep 25, 2006.

1. slockm

slockm Auditioning

Wow, this forum is great! But to be honest, it's also overwhelming. So here goes my first post:

I'm building a home to sell to some average Joe retiree. This home will NOT have a dedicated media room, but I'd like to wire and set up the home for as many options as possible in the way of home theater. However, I feel that if I have all my surround speakers located, all the wires running to where I think the TV should go, etc, then I've severely limited the setup of the living room for the future owner.

SO, can I get some recommendations on how to wire a room for versatility? Does anyone ever wire everything into a 'central command' type of closet, with a type of circuit board to plug in which speakers are which, etc. I know this isn't easy, but any help is appreciated.

Also, can someone throw a quick link at me for a recommended in-wall speaker on a budget?

Thanks, don't crucify my first post!
    Michael

2. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Is this a Spec home? Are you the Builder? If so I would recommend that you find a local Audio/Video Company and ask for a "Prewire only". That way they can make the correct assesment of your floor plans and advise you on the options. There are so many ways to make a home "future" proofed and without sitting down and going over blueprints, cabinet drawings etc etc. It's hard to give any exact advise. Most companies (at least ours) will give a free estimate.

3. slockm

slockm Auditioning

Good idea. Yes, it'd a spec, and yes, I'm the builder. I didn't realize the local guys would do a free estimate on the prewire. Are you typically pretty cheap on a prewire? It's seems simple, I did my own home, but maybe I'm oversimplifying it...? The difference is that I knew how I'd lay out my house, but keeping the options open on this one seems a bit more tricky!

Thanks!

4. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Too many options can sometimes be a bad thing. An A/V company can take into account things like ambient light when they are making their recommendations. It may be that there is only one layout that makes sense. If you are looking for A?V installers in your area I would start with CEDIA. They have a builder site with a dealer locater here: http://www.cedia.net/homebuilders/