What's new

MDF Warpage? (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I have a 4x8' (49x97") sheet of 1" MDF sitting in my garage that has been cut into two 4x4' sheets. I was just looking at them and they don't appear to be completely flat any longer. They have been sitting on edge in the garage for the past few months waiting for me to start building my Adire 281s and 81s. I just was wondering if it's possible for MDF to warp? If so, can MDF be flattened again?

Thanks.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Yep it will warp in a heart beat if left like you said for any length of time. You need to store it flat. Either flip it over and watch it for the next few weeks or lay it flat (edges touching floor with hump in the middle) on top of each other and put a bag of sand in the middle. Leave it that way for a few days...

Ronnie

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Another thing to ponder on MDF warpage: When I built my flexi, I painted the base coat on the shelves (18"x22")with black acrylic and had them outside for drying. The heat build up from the direct sunlight helped give one of them a bit of a bow. Luckily caught it in time to move the others into the shade.

Bill

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'll give it a shot. I think I may be able to find a place to store it flat. If not, I'll fip it around.

I just need to hurry up and build my speakers I guess. That would solve the problem!

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
hey i uesd glue block on my tempest sub, and i noticed that i had about a 1/8 warp in the sides, but wheni glued and screwed the glueblocks in, it took that warp to alomst nothing.

I uesed poplar, and soft maple for my glue blocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks