MDF vs Plywood on floor.........

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John Prator, Mar 31, 2004.

1. John Prator

John Prator Stunt Coordinator

We are in the process of constructing our HT in our new home. It is on the second floor and I would like to strengthen the floor and try and keep the sound in the room as much as I can. I have already pulled the carpet and padding up and I plan on putting down a layer of 1/2" sound board and then on top of that either 1/2" plywood or 1/2" MDF and then put the carpet and padding back down. I would prefer the MDF but I am concerned that if someone spills a drink and it soaks thru the carpet that the MDF will swell similar to particle board. What do you guys think? Which would be better, MDF or Plywood? Thanks for your help and advice!
    John

2. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

I would not use MDF on a floor. It is not made for floor use. Use ply or OSB.

3. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

While I absolutely love MDF (I make pretty much everything out of it!), I would not use it for a regular floor. Like Mark said, I'd use plywood or OSB decking. If you ever need to screw something down to it or nail into it, you'll regret going with MDF... it is not very nail or screw friendly. And forget being able to staple that carpet padding back down.

4. John Prator

John Prator Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I also posted this same question over on AVS and was advised that MDF would be a mistake. So plywood it is. Thanks for your help guys!!
    John