MDF vs Ply

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Woodhall, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

i built my doubled-up 10ft3 box outta MDF.. I did the outside box with MDF and am starting to build the box inside the 1st box.. I cut some 3/4 plywood and compared it to the same size of MDF, it is like 1/2 its weight.. So my question is, can I just use regular 3/4" plywood for the internal box/braces? I mean just the regular stuff, not the Baltic Birch or Marine grade board? Will there be any problems? I want to cut the weight down as much as possible, hopefully under 200lbs [​IMG]

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

You certainly can use plywood for internal braces. It is torsionally stronger than MDF and is better for that application. Cabinet walls for full-range speakers is where MDF shines. A sandwich of solid plywood inner and MDF outer is the cabinet construction recommended by North Creek, but you could use regular plywood as the inner layer. Less dense, but probably not a noticeable difference in final sound quality.
    BTW, if you're building a subwoofer cabinet, MDF won't be such an advantage since it's high density, non-vibrating characteristic comes into play at higher frequencies. You could do a sub cabinet entirely in plywood if you wanted. Will you crossover at 60 - 80 Hz?

3. Craig Woodhall

thanks Hank.. It will be for a subwoofer cabinet for my BDP 1803 and it will be crossed over at 80hz.. The box is huge and to be able to make it 50 or 60lbs lighter is great..

Craig

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Craig,
    Well, lighter is fine as long as it's not hopping around the room! [​IMG]

5. Hank Frankenberg

The jury is instructed to ignore the last remark from the heir to the bungee cord fortune.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I figure if any driver can cause the enclosure to hop around the room the 1803 can. Although, it weighs nearly 60lbs. itself so it might not be an issue.

7. Hank Frankenberg

Your honor, I rest my case. [​IMG]

8. Craig Woodhall

hehe.. it's Brian's 1803 that I bought.. thanks guys!