MDF Sawdust and Shopvac filter

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Michael Lynch, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Michael Lynch

Michael Lynch Auditioning

Hi All,

I notice when routing with the Shopvac attached to the router the MDF sawdust comes out the top exhaust. I just have the standard foam/sponge filter and was wondering what should be used. I looked on the shopvac site here and was also wondering what you guys use.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I recommend the drywall bag. MDF dust is quite a challenge to control.

3. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hmm.. I didn't know they have other filters. I have the cartridge type filter. It clogs with dust after about 30 sec of use and loses all it's sucking power.

Does that drywall bag clog up right away? or does the stuff stay off of it and just fall into the canister like it should? And which one is the drywall bag actually?

Is "B" as noted on their page something to fit over the filter that I have to keep dirt from sticking to it?

John

4. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

John,

With the amount of MDF you cut up you really should think about investing in a cyclonic dust collection system. It pulls the dust out of the air using a cyntripical force... I have no idea how to spell that. I realize you probably use a particle mask as I do but you do still breath that nasty air through the imperfect seal as well as when you take the mask off and put it back on. The stuff hangs in the air for a day or so.

Anyway, for about $300 bucks and change you can build one from a standard Jet DC1200 dust collector. I can give you more details on it if you are interested. I'm currently at work and don't have the info with me. No filters, much more static pressure and CFM than a shop vac. I use nothing but my dust collection system in my shop. I have no use for noisy shop vacs now.

MDF will really do a number on your health sooner or later if you don't invest in a good dust control system. For the hobbiest it shouldn't be a problem buy you are production my man [​IMG] I have a full shop air filtration system as well as the cyclone dust collector and I still get some dust flying around.

Darren

5. John E Janowitz

Darren,

I already have dust collection run to everything with a Jet DC-1100. I ran ducts to all my stationary tools throughout the shop. I also have a JDS air filtration system to clean all the airborn stuff out. I just use the shopvac for getting into some spots in other rooms that get full of dust.

John

6. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Ahhh... excellent. I'm glad to hear that. MDF is dangerous stuff over long periods.

7. Michael Lynch

Michael Lynch Auditioning

Thanks for the help Tim!
    So I guess I'll have to remove the foam and get the pre-filter, cartridge filter, and drywall bag.

Mike

8. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

i recently got this shop-vac for my dad on fathers day (too bad i am the only one that has used it thus far) [​IMG].
    Its got some serious balls, but it does clog up the cartridge filter after a while but i just shake it outside, i am just starting my workshop, so i am not making that much saw dust but i plan to use it mostly on my router table that i will be picking up in the next few weeks, my main goal it so keep the dust out of my router. The one thing that I really like about this shop-vac is how quite it is, its about 80db at 1m so i am more then happy to use it, i already picked up two tanks worth of dust from lets say 12 years of dust lying around, not to mention all the cob webs. [​IMG]

I haven't tried the supplied dust bag yet but i think it will once i start another project [​IMG]

9. Michael.Hoffman

I bought a cartridge type gore-tex filter for my Sears shop vac from Woodcraft many years ago when I was just getting into woodworking. Pretty sure I paid around $25-30 at the time. I think it's supposed to filter down to 0.5 microns (pretty small), it cleans up easily, and doesn't seem to clog that much. I used it for a while until I broke down and bought a dedicated dust collector for all the tools in my shop. Then I bought one of those trash can cyclone separator lids and the dust collectors bags don't fill up nearly as fast, just put the can out for the trash and I'm done. I still use the shop vac, but it mostly does cleanup duty now.

10. John E Janowitz

I'd really like a cyclone dust collector with a can on bottom. I already have the JEt DC1100 though. I just can't see spending out more money for another collector right now. Thought about trying to convert this to the cyclone type, but not sure how I'd do that.

John

11. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

For shop vac use you just need to get the HEPA Filter that
    does down to 0.5 Microns. This will filter any Fly Ash, Wood
    Dust etc..

12. MarkDesMarais

MarkDesMarais Stunt Coordinator

A cheap way to reduce the cleaning chore on a paper cartridge filter is to stretch a chunk of nylons (the kind women throw away regularly ;-) over the filter. Then you can just peel it off and much of the dust comes off with it. Dunno how much MDF dust it would stop though.

Markd

13. Allen Ross

interesting idea

14. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

You could probably skip the fishnet stockings. [​IMG]

15. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

OK guys here is one.

I use my dust collector 99% of the time
    But before that I used my shop vac and at times still do.
    Go to a built in vacuum store.
    Take your filter with you.
    Get a filter for a built in vacuum.These come 2 stage.
    A white cloth liner and a grey cloth liner.
    I replaced my filter with a stock unit only.
    Then place the twin socks over the filter.
    The filter socks will remove 99.99 of the dust and if you want get the HEPA cloth for the vacuum.
    These cost me $35.00 CND and are washable, and remove very easy for cleaning.And best part of all the bags can be removed 1 at a time and shaken out for easy cleaning.
    Or due as I do tap on the top plate with a small piece of wood.And this loosens up the dust and drops off the smooth serface of the bag.
    I found this way better that the HEPA filter replacement as they just plug up with MDF dust.
    The cloth bags do a little but not 1/2 as bad and a tap on the top plate to drop the dust.

My 1 cent CND

16. Allen Ross

CND whats that 50 cents US [​IMG]

So far i have had to tap, clean my filter twice and it wasn't more then just tapping it against the trash can for about 5 min so i am not complaining, it works for the small jobs that i need it to work for [​IMG]