What's new

MDF debris was just a flyin' this afternoon....whoo hoo!!!!! (1 Viewer)

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Finally cut up the 4x8 sheet of MDF for my 12" DVC from Acoustic Visions. Had a real good time and the cuts came out real nice. Cut it out on the back deck, so cleanup was virtually non-existant (major plus).

Using the Shiva 54 Liter Sealed Box plans. Will probably make a couple modifications to the project. I don't know why, but I really don't want to cut a hole in the back panel of the enclosure for an amp (looking at the 250 watt plate amp from Parts Express). Doesn't seem right to use decent materials, take the time to cut everything, and then hack a big old hole in the enclosure. Anybody have a guess how much mounting the amp in the enclosure affects the sound of the subwoofer? Will either mount the amp "piggyback" style, or just try and find a mongo amp from somewhere. Any ideas here greatly appreciated.

I'll keep you posted on how things progress. DIY subwoofer building is a blast!!

Steve

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I saw that......great idea he's got!! Thanks for the heads up.

Dang, have to get to work. Darn work gets in the way of my fun all the time. Guess that's a good thing in a way!

Thanks again, Lee.

Steve

tom j r

Agent
Steve,
If you think you could use more power, MCM Electronics has a 350w plate amp that is virtually identical to the PE plate amp except for power, of course, plus it has remote control for the volume and crossover.

I am using it with my SVS 20-39CS+ with great results. Still needing to get around to making that box for it like Patrick did, mine has a rather "open air" temporary frame around it for the time being...

You can also look at the Stryke Audio website for a 350w amp which is similar to the MCM but without the remote IIRC.

Good luck!

Tom

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, Tom. Will probably end up going with the Parts Express plate amp(pretty hard price to beat!!), but will probably end up putting the purchase off until I get back from vacation in mid/late-August. Knowing my luck, it will go on sale for 59 bucks as soon as I leave!!

Don't go on vacation until mid-next week, but the wife says I have to make a little progress on the "honey do" list. Life just ain't fair!!

Thanks again.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks