MD purchase questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joshiajay, Jun 17, 2002.

1. joshiajay

joshiajay Auditioning

Hi all,
    I am considering purchasing a minidisc player and I am not sure what feature set I should be looking for. Mostly I would like to play MP3's and prerecorded music. I may want to be able to recod in the future. What models should I look at and what software would I need (NetMD?)
    Thanks,
    Ajay

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ajay, are you looking for a portable player or a home deck? Note that all home minidisc components record. Some portables are players only. Portable recorders are more expensive.
    I have never used the NetMD software, but a review is running on the Audio/Video Sources board. Here is the link:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=76695

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I was about to post the same link that Keith posted!
    Another good place for MD information is www.minidisc.org . A good place to buy gear is www.minidisco.com .
    NP: King's X "Ear Candy"

4. joshiajay

joshiajay Auditioning

Thanks for the replies guys. I want a portable, not a home system. I will look into the links you suggested. i think will probably get a Sony 707. Any feedback on this unit?
    Thanks again,
    Ajay

5. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

I have the Sony NET MD Walkman model MZ-S1 and I love it. The NETMD software came with the MD player and it seems to work well. I can drag and drop MP3 files and it transfers it to the player. I use the LP2 mode which is 160 min. of audio. There is also an LP4 mode that doubles the LP2 modes time limit, but you sacrifice quality for quantity. Transfer speeds are good on my USB 1.1 connection and since the player supports the newer USB 2.0 specs, I'm sure transfer speeds could get even better. Battery life is excellent too. I have had the thing for about a month and I use it while jogging. I have yet to see the Batt. life indicator go down a notch. Hope this helps.