McMillian S1, McCloud S1 & S2, Columbo S3

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Steve...O, May 10, 2005.

1. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Fans of 70s era crime shows are gonna love this...

From DVD Answers

2. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

They're more than just 70s era crime shows....but all 3 are NBC Mystery Movie series! So expect them all to be 90 minute and 2 hour episodes and in the case of McMillan & Wife and McCloud include the pilot films as well. [​IMG]

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

WOOHOO!!! Columbo S3!!!!!

4. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    A 2 disc set for Columbo?? If that's true it means that they're switching to our "beloved" DVD-18s.

Chris

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    One wonders if there is any hope for the other "spoke" in the mystery wheel to be released: George Peppard's Banacek. It's been showing up on the Hallmark Channel lately.

Our good friends at TVShowsonDVD have nice articles up about these series.

McCloud
    McMillan
    Columbo

All these releases has given me hope that Ironside and Rockford will get past the rumor stage and find their way into stores.

Steve

6. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

They always do [​IMG]

I'll be getting all of these sets. I loved that "NBC Mystery Movie" from the 70's [​IMG]

7. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    -- This is great news for Mystery Movie fans. From the run times, it looks as if the pilots of McCloud and McMillan and Wife will be included. As far as I know, a European VHS release of the M&W pilot is about all they've done with either of those two shows for home video.

-- The six first-season McCloud's (after the pilot), as I've posted in another thread, need to be formatted as separate one-hour shows. According to epguides.com, that's how they originally aired. Epguides also says three pairs of 2-hour eps were made from these six shows, and I think that's how they've aired in syndication ever since. "Man From Taos," though, is the only one I've ever seen from the edited-together trio.

-- McCloud was part of that old "Four in One" wheel in its first season, along with Night Gallery and two other shows. Some have bemoaned the lack of the Four in One intro as an extra on the NG set, but one hopes it might turn up on McCloud. Since I have no memories of this intro, it's not a big deal for me. I do remember the Mystery Movie intro and have VHS copies of it, but I would like to see a legit DVD release of it on one of the Mystery Movie sets.

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

actually what i would love to see (but certainly never will) is the CBS late night bumpers and theme, because that's where i originally saw most of these in the late 70s.

i'm really looking forward to McMillan & Wife.
    really good chemistry between Hudson and Saint James gave the show a special quality all its own.

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Definitely psyched about both Columbo and McMillan & Wife (never did get into McCloud).

10. Todd B

Todd B Stunt Coordinator

I would love to see Banacek as well. A great "how done it" type of series that we don't see to often.

11. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

From Dave L at TSoD...some advance info on the upcoming Cover Art for these series....

When the box art is revealed for all three titles, you will see the left side of each show's logo with the NBC peacock and the "NBC Mystery Movie" logo...the classic one from the early 70's!

Neat...will get these sets for sure...

12. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I never liked how Universal removed the 1970s Universal globe logo once (and still) seen at the END of those shows in both TV first-runs and in reruns. Now they have the awful-looking computer generated one at the beginning of the DVD releases of those same TV shows. I like the music though, but still....why not leave the original ones intact?

And also....why remove the NBC Mystery Movie theme by Dick DeBenedictus? In this particular case, the theme included drawings of Columbo, McMillan and Wife, and McCloud. I still have that theme in my head from first discovering these wonderful series in 1980s and 90s reruns on basic cable. I get superstation WGN and they still rerun those a few times a month, and I think the A & E Network sometimes still does too.

13. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i miss the old "Universal-an MCA company" coda too.
    the "dunduh dunduh dunduh DUH" was so familiar, it just seems like a natural part of the shows end theme music (i don't think i ever flipped off a Night Stalker episode until that universal tag played out)

i guess since they are now an NBC (GE) company, and not an MCA company, that's why we don't see the tag anymore -although i did find it on an errant episode of Kojak the other night...just like seeing an old friend [​IMG]

14. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    Henry Mancini is credited with the Mystery Movie theme in the end credits. Dick DeBenedictis wrote music for individual MM episodes, especially for several Columbo's.

Mancini's estate might want too much money to clear the theme stateside--one of my copies came from a clip that was included as an extra on an overseas Columbo release. Mancini royalties (for the song "Charade") surely must have kept Columbia House from releasing my all-time favorite Columbo, "Now You See Him," in their 30-episode VHS series. I'm biased, but surely this episode would be in any Columbo fan's top five or 10, and it's inconceivable that a 30-tape representation of the best eps wouldn't include it unless music rights were at issue.

I too vote for the old Universal fanfare. It's still appearing on Alias Smith & Jones reruns on the Encore Westerns channel but didn't show up on the Kojak set (as others have bemoaned on the HTF). Seems like it was on the Baretta DVD set.

Trivia question: Who played the man with the flashlight in the MM opening? I don't know the answer, but I was hoping someone else did!

15. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

I've such wonderful memories of that great theme music and the title sequence with the guy holding the flashlight (who was he, anyway?). The NBC Mystery Movie was delicious- my favorite was McMillian & Wife, but I also loved Columbo and McCloud. Any news on some of the other shows from that era like Madigan, Hec Ramsey, Amy Prentiss starring Jessica Walter, and Banacek?

One thing's for sure- McMillian & Wife is a must-buy for me. I discovered them even before hearing of Nick & Nora Charles! And yes, this show did make me watch Hart To Hart years later.

On a tangent, I'd love to see a Thin Man remake for the big screen. How about Denzel Washington & Halle Berry as the new Nick & Nora?