What's new

MCM copy of the W8 from TB.Lots of Pics (1 Viewer)

Well, I heard recently that Gefco (the build house for the madisound drivers and PRs) went under. I doubt that they will be around long as a result. Parts Express is coming out with their own PRs soon, though they will be more expensive. THe 15" is going to be in the $50+ range. I am more curious to see what the 12" and 10" will be priced at.

-Chris

AllanRW

Second Unit
I have a few TB W8-740C selling off.
$25.00 each plus ahipping.
Any takers.
A one time deal only 4 left and I am moving on.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Al and Brian, any updates? Brian, did you take it home and measure it? Al, what experimenting have you done? Any further word on the going under of MCM's driver mfgr?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,

No I haven't done that yet. Actually, I just bought a new Sherwood Newcastle R-863 receiver and their new progressive scan DVD player. We're setting up a 5.1 system in the shop with these components along with our T-1 towers, C-1 center and M-1 monitors and the MCM 8"/Stryke 12" PR sub. I'll be setting things up today so maybe I can run a FR plot as well.

AllanRW

Second Unit
Hank.
I put the subs down for a while as I am hosting the NorthWest DIY this Saturday November 23.
So I have been busy getting ever thing in place and ready for Saturday.
Along with finishing and tweaking my designed and 4 others for customers.
On the 8" Subs from MCM and TB.
Well my last words are they are close enough to say the same.
Will work in the same cabinet , very very close response.And with a PR work the same.
Now the PR weight different for both but out of the box the PR I have been using on th MCM2421 makes it very very healthy and clean.
Not muddy bass.Hits hard and clean good punch not flabby hitting and no slapping from the Driver as there was with the first PRs.
The new PR it looks will be sold from Bob ast CSS.
http://www.creativesound.ca/index.html;)
Now the PR is from Bassexciter and uses NO SPYDER.
Yes nothing just the surround.
i had my doubts but it works very very well
And you can add weight to the back.With the adjusting nut on the back.
Cost Bob is not 100% but will be less than the 10" from John at Stryke.
As a stiff single 10" will work for these 8" subs in a 1 cft cabinet.And then the 10" PRs will have another market as well from Bob.More from him on that later.
But over all the 2421 has to be 450-500g and the 740C has to be 400-500g
Like I said very close.
Have a look at the photo of the RP from bassexciter and you can see.
What ever PR you use like Brian has used a 12" but went to a larger cabinet.
My Idea was a smalller selling sub for a match with my cubes I build.But the cost of the Driver,PR and AMP out cost a 12" driver say like the Shiv.
They were neat to play around with and I will have the single cabinet ready at the DIY using the 2421.
But other than that for the time.The 8" cabinet sub is a dead issue for me.
Al

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I received my Madisound 12" PR yesterday. Light weight, spider, seems like small Xmax. With Madisound's complete lack of specs, I'll see what the Eminence design program comes up with and play around with it. I'll try to measure 500 grams of something and silicone it to the small dustcap and try it.
If it works with my 792 PE plate amp, I'll have a small sub to go with my "cube" speakers. Sorry, I am averse to paying more for a PR than for my driver, so it looks like Madisound's PR's are the only ones within budget.

Brian, I have a dress rehearsal Friday and concert Saturday, so I won't be able to attend the Texas DIY event. Jonathan has graciously agreed to take a pair of my BoseBusters - a pair I covered in Snow Leopard faux fur. I've named them the HF Soundwerks "Lounge" model. Wild, yes, but different. I did do some experimental cone doping in an attempt to tame hf cone nasties, so we'll see...

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Brian, because you'd copy 'em in a New York minute and start selling 'em like hotcakes!;)
I'll try to load a pic on my crumby website tonight. I have taken a step towards better 'net. I'm dropping AOL at home and have signed up with Everyone's Internet, a Texas-based company at $10/month, including free hosting of personal web space up to 300MB, with virus and spam filtering. They offer my own domain and support for a commercial site for $10/month additional. Maybe I can do a personal site with higher-res pics than my Geocities site.
I miss the daily e-mails, boy! You must be as busy as a mosquito in a nudist camp.
BTW, Jonathan and Scott will take 5 channels worth of new Mirus Audio speakers to the Texas DIY. It will be interesting to hear the reactions. They are some NICE sounding speakers.

AllanRW

Second Unit
Just sent you a email.
$55.00 for 2 or $70.00 for 3
plus shipping.Send me a shipping address and then you can pay using PP
Thanks AL

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,
I'm selling 4 to a guy here in town to put up in his antique shop!
BTW, weren't those hourly emails? ;) I'd love to see (and hear) the new Mirus stuff. Are these different than what they brought to the Austin DIY meet that I attended?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
4 What?
Yes, it was hourly.
Jonathan and Scott have a new, smaller model, so I assume they will be the rear surrounds, with 3 of the original larger models in front. Hundreds of hours of driver testing and crossover design do pay off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks