MCM 8" high excursion woofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Torres, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jon,

Hot damn! I bought 3 from Nuera and it cost me $14 shipping each!

3. Hailan R

Hailan R Agent

Brian did you ever bother to get that w8 tested(clio...) to see if the stated parameters were exact. Cause 84 db sens is low IMO and would love to build some mains with 3-4 of these per main. And it also helps that yhere is a cnd distributor. As for the mcm driver anyone ever use/try it yet.

4. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Well a person with the TB knowledge I will say looks 100% TB.
    I am ordering one to compare to the one I have and also to the original sample I recieved from TB before the new W8-740C was made.
    But I will say for the money at $30.00USD its a killer little sub.

Al

5. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Also I just looked around and the TB speakers line is now going stong at MCM.
    55-2421,55-2320,55-2311 and the Neo tweeters 25-302S from TB are I biele being offered as a set for $16.00
    besides the W3-319S1 back at MCM.
    MAn MCM must have done a big deal to get all these from TB.But good to see.

Al

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

The MCM 8",,, for some reason the few programs I can access with my webtv won't let me model this in a ported encloser.

Keeps coming back error, the QTS is to low for this driver..... Never had this happen before....

Can someone run the MCM 8" for a 3" flaired port and deepest tuning possible and keep freq response some what flat to tuning. Extremly curious what you can get for extension & spl out this little bugger.

Power would be what ever is required...
    BFD available if needed.

Thanks
    Geoff

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yeh it dose seem excessive.
    But one has to assume at this point that it is one way and seems that with todays technology it not to far out their.
    Someone will surly straighten us out if my/our guess is wrong. 16mm one way on a 8", wew...[​IMG]

8. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

With out cutting the drivers apart you are just getting a very good IDA of the Xmax.
    And I will say the original W8-740 that Richard Chwiendacz has is very different from the W8-740C.
    The 2 specs differ greatly and the finished production W8-740C does not have the SUSPENSION COMPL of the original sample.TB said they just could not get it to produce to that spec on a production run.So they changed the specs and added the to the W8 and sent them out.
    I do know the W8-740 will travel beyond the 14-16MM one way , the new W8 will just make the 12MM at thats about it.

But I really want to see this little 8" fromMCM and compare the 3 different models.
    I have ordered 6 Sub 100 amps from Solen as I can get them and sell them for just $125.00 CND each.
    So for the price of one of these amps and a small 8" in a 10" cube it will be very small and pack a punch.

Al

9. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Geoff.
    I will stand buy the comments of 12MM one way ask Brian I think he will agree with that.
    But,like I said the sample W8-740 I got from TB was way more than the 12mm one way.

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thanks Allan!!!

11. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

I'm getting a very funky looking graph w/ WinISD. Upping the QTS seems to make the graph look much better, but can the QTS of 0.18 be right? Maybe a typo.

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hailan,

I did not test the W8, but it definitely can take the power from a 250W amp in an 11" cube, no problem. It doesn't go super low. I'm getting an F6 around 32Hz but that's with a lot of boost on the amp. It's decent if you need a small sub and don't need super low. I didn't bottom it out at rather high levels though.

Also, when you are talking about a long throw driver with a relatively low Fs (at least for an 8" driver) you end up with a heavy cone. Which of course, means lower efficiency. I absolutely love the now discontinued ACI SV10 with it's below 20Hz Fs and 16mm Xmax. But efficiency is 83dB.

I'm much more optimistic about my upcoming PR design. That is, if the actual PR ever shows up. One month and counting. Forget porting this baby. At least below 30Hz. The enclosure is just too small and the port would be too long.

Brian

13. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Brian .
    I have the W8-740C in a 12" cube ported
    2" X 18" down to 25.
    And yes a little lower than it should be.
    Running the 794 AMP with no boost the W8 bottoms out very very easy.
    But the tuning has every thing to do with that.
    I am ordering the MCM 8" and will post the difference between that and the W8.
    But shipping to Canada on the Pony takes a few weeks so this will take time.

Al

14. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

And on the W8 PR from TB .
    I will say not in this life time.
    That was one that Rick and I were pushing for, and we never got any more than a picture of a W8 PR.
    And now We are not involved with Nuera any longer I would be willing to say that it will nevert happen .But TB could sell them to PE.
    You never know!!

Al

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Al,

I didn't say it wouldn't work. I just don't consider a 2" port large enough for this driver. I'd prefer a 3" port, 2.5" minimum. I've seen much less capable 8" drivers have trouble with port noise from a 2" port tuned to around 30Hz.

Concerning PR's, I'm not refering to TB. I'm going to use a 12" PR from Stryke along with the smaller (300-792?) amp from PE.

Brian

16. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Ya i agree totally with you on the port like I said Thats what it is now and port noise very very bad.
    So I will be doing some changes in the following weeks as I can compare the MCM 8" also.
    Ya I have ordered a few of those from Solen and can get a good deal on them and sell them at $125.00CND
    I think that amp is a better match over the 794.
    But still a very good hit for a 8" driver thats a big for sure.
    Al[​IMG]

17. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Allan, Brian and I each bought three of the TB 8". I haven't built any experimental boxes yet, but was initially discouraged with plugging in the numbers and modeling a sealed enclosure - pretty high Fs. I would be an impressive 10 - 11" cube sealed, compared to what someone could buy at the mass retail stores, but for absolute best performance and fairly small box size, a PR design is probably the way to go. Brian's PR is taking a long time to ship, but when he eventually gets it and builds the sub, we'll see what the puppy is capable of.
    Brian, anyone - is there a clue as to the mfgr of the new MCM 8"? I hadn't noticed it until I read this thread. BTW, send me a check or I'll call Luigi in East Atlanta.[​IMG]

18. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Yes i do remember Brian phoning and asking about ordering a few and getting one sent to you.
    http://www.boomspeed.com/wrnch22/8PR-a.jpg
    http://www.boomspeed.com/wrnch22/PRdriver-c.jpg
    These are the PRs I ws hoping to get made.
    And yes I agree small cube and a PR the way to go.
    Another thing get the one from MCM knock off the magnetand a little work a 8" PR for wway less money.
    http://www.lyeco.com.tw/
    A little bird just sent me a email saying the 8" MCM ws made to compete with the TB and is possibly made by the company above.

19. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

A little off the MCM 8" subject...
    Very interesting link Al!
    Allot""ah goodies [​IMG]
    Love that CES completed Speaker, very different and surly pricey!!!
    Allan
    How tuff is it to get drivers from Lyeco.com??
    Speaking to the larger 15 alum woofs. The 15 00AR series. Or are the cost just to much to get one or two over the water and State side?????
    Geoff