What's new

MCM 55-2421is very impressive! (1 Viewer)

GabeT

Grip
I received my two woofers today and am very impressed! I have each one in a 2.25 cubic foot box..each with a 10 inch PR (from some old Klipsch's I had laying around). All i can say is WOW! They are fairly efficient (considering their low FS), and have great extension. Im thinking about going with a plate amp from parts express. Anybody tried one of their 250 watt plate amps for $125(The one without bass boost @ 30hz)?
Thanks Gabe

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I love MCM stuff.. you can find some real gems in their stock on occasion. But, for some reason they seem to have a habit of discontinuing their better stuff. (ie: my beloved 55-2205)

As far as their plate amps go, I used their 80 watt (50-6271, also discontinued) and had to return it due to a bad output channel. They were quick to replace it no problem. The amp works okay the auto-on relay can be a little flighty at times (will shut off on occasion... my casual listening level seems to be right at the auto on/off point) and seems to need a good level before it will kick on. I find it not as reliable as my Apex Jr, but what do you want for $70.

AllanRW

Second Unit
Gabe.
I have been testing the 2421 and a MCM built PR that is in the making for MCM.
The 2421 is a way better deal over the TB I will not re hash that one.
Anyway I have the 2421 and the MCM PR that MCM is going to be making in a 1cft cabinet and it is very happy happy in that cainet with the 794 and no boost.
But the amp will over power the driver very easy.
Stay with the lower amp and you will be just fine.
The 240 wtts is a rating and to use that power you would need a PR that is very very still compliance and has a min. of 50mm XMAX. weighted to about 600g
These 8" drivers need a PR and a very stiff one with the Xmax.

All the best

Al

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Allan...does the specified 16mm Xmax seem realistic? Peak-to-peak, or 1-way? Any preliminary specs on the PR?

Thanks,
Jack

Users who are viewing this thread