What's new

McLeod's Daughters - Season 1 - R1 (1 Viewer)

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
My wife got me hooked on this Australian series when it was showing on the We channel. It focuses on two sisters who run their father's ranch; it's a little soap opera-ish at times, but the cast has great chemistry and you end up really caring asbout the characters. Plus, it's all filmed on location in south Australia.

I actually considered buying a region-free PAL-to-NTSC DVD player so I could buy the Australian discs. So I'm glad to see it's getting an R1 release.

If you're looking for a blind buy this fall, I can recommend this. I'm not familiar with Koch Video, though; I hope they do a good job with it.

http://www.mcleodsdaughtersdvd.com/

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5489

(Unfortunately, if you want to check out the show on TV, the We channel recently dropped it at the end of Season 3. :frowning: )

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Here in Australia the sixth season is currently airing, the fifth season is to be released on DVD next month and has been renewed for a seventh season. Also next week the Logies awards will be aired on TV. The Logies are like the Emmys, but for Australia. McLeods Daughters has been nominated several times, but the only nomination I remember is for Bride Carter (Tess McLeod)- Gold Logie- Most Popular TV Actor. There was a TV movie of McLeod's Daughters before the TV series, but fortunately that was included in the Australian Season 1 set. Not sure if it will be included in the R1 set though.
-James

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Yay for Region 1! Finally you can enjoy our beloved TV drama on DVD! If you want a look at the R4 cover art and bonus features, here's a link to a website containing it -http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/223910

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
I ended up renting this on Netflix. It's nice being able to see it in its original aspect ratio.

But it also has flaws. Episode 2 was distorted horizontally, resulting in a stretched image. The other episodes didn't have this.

Also, all the episodes were suffering from kind of speedup -- the theme song and voices were noticeably higher-pitched than the episodes on the WE channel, and fast motion like grass or hair blowing in the wind looked unnaturally fast.

Is there some kind of speedup inherent in PAL-to-NTSC conversion? 25 fps to 30 fps without any kind of pulldown is a 20% speedup, but I don't know if it was that much. But it was noticeably fast.

All in all, somewhat disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks