McIntosh's new owner

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Tse, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

More industry consolidation....D&M Holdings to purchase McIntosh. D&M is the parent company to Denon and Marantz.

2. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Its is probably a better fit than Clarion. Someday I will have to visit them, seeing they are in my back yard. Maybe they have a factory outlet store [​IMG]

JohnS

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Jeez I hope they don't dilute McIntosh's quality.

What's a "holdings" company?

LJ

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

For those old enough to remember, there's some rich irony in this story. In the Golden Age of high-fidelity audio, McIntosh and Marantz were dukin' it out for king of the high-end hill. Though Marantz was sold into mass-market slavery in 1963, the company maintained its traditional rivalry with McIntosh until the early 1970s when all but its high-end models were manufactured in Japan.

Now, after all these decades the two companies that bear those names are going to be owned by the same parent company.

Wow.

I doubt McIntosh will ever be forced to give up its current standards of excellence and handcrafted quality, however.

5. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

After reading about the McIntosh acquisition yesterday, the very same thought about the irony of it hit this ol' audiophile, too (well, 49 years "old").

As a youngster and in my early teens I remember well the debates in hi-fi shops about which of the two high-end companies made the better-sounding power amps and preamps.

The battle also raged over their terrific FM tuners. Still today there are debates over which tuner is better, the fabled Marantz 10B or McIntosh MR78.

My uncle, who got me started as a hi-fi nut, owned both brands. My favorite combination was a Marantz tube preamp driving McIntosh monoblock tube power amps (circa early 1960s).

When I saved up my car-wash earnings during my junior year in high school, I spent it all on my first hi-fi component: a Marantz 26 stereo receiver (14 watts/channel; in 1970 it cost me $129!). (Marantz's preamps and power amps, and any McIntosh component, were way beyond my means at the time.) That Marantz receiver was my pride and joy. Later, I met Saul Marantz (this was after he sold the company to Superscope) and greatly enjoyed talking with him about his products. He was a very gracious and kind fellow (he passed on about three years ago).

It rattles my brain a bit to think the Marantz and McIntosh firms are now part of the same parent company. Ironic, indeed.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Terrific story, Eric. Thanks!

7. IraSWeiss

IraSWeiss Stunt Coordinator

I also remember the hallowed competition between McIntosh and Marantz. It was really high end back then between these two, with companies like Fisher, HH Scott, Sherwood, Harmon Kardon and Dynaco not far behind. Even more amazing, in the 50's and early 60's they were all AMERICAN MADE.

Even with my fancy home theater, I wonder if the quality is as good today as it was back then.