What's new

McIntosh Receiver Grief. Need some advice! (1 Viewer)

Steve_B

Auditioning
I purchased a McIntosh MHT100 several months ago from our local dealer. After a couple of months, I noticed that there were times when one or more channels would not turn on. The problem usually manifests itself after switching inputs or between scenes in a movie or tracks on a CD. Typical problems are that the front left channel or the sub will be silent. If you raise or lower the volume, often times the missing channel will turn on. Pretty frustrating!

I had the receiver in the shop about a month ago, but the problem came back. Mcintosh says it is a bad volume control IC and that the multi-channel board needs to be replaced.

Other than this issue, I have been pretty happy with the receiver, sounds great (when all channels are working). Looks pretty sharp also.

The dealer has agreed to take it back or get it repaired for me, my choice. So, my question is if anyone else has experienced similar problems? Should I head another direction, or opt for the repair route? I must admit that I am a bit gun-shy now since the problem has returned.

My dealer recommended a B&K Ref50 with a 200.5 amp. Is this a good option? Better/worse? Should I stick with the MacIntosh?

Help!

JackS

Supporting Actor
I second the "get rid of it". Problems with hardware as in your case, bad boards and controls don't bode well for the future even if the receiver was fixed. I'm sure many people who have had problems with their electronics and have had a successful fix with no further problems exist, but I couldn't personally have much confidence in anything that started with a serious problem to begin with. I say- "take the Ref50 deal" Good luck.

Steve_B

Auditioning
Thanks for the feedback. I too have some concerns about the long term health of this receiver.

Any comments on the B&K relative to the Mac? Would I be trading down (am I caught up in the McIntosh mystique)?

Thanks.

Alex F.

Second Unit
Personally, if the dealer gave me the option of exchanging it for a new one, I wouldn't hesitate. I would not bother with repairs if I didn't have to.

Another possibility to explore, particularly if the dealer does not have any more MHT100s, is to pay the additional cost and obtain the new MHT200. In this case, I would ask the dealer to reduce the price difference as a courtesy for all your troubles.

McIntosh components offer exceptional performance and sound quality. And, in all but the rarest cases (like yours, unfortunately), superb reliability, often measured in decades of trouble-free operation. The odds of your experiencing a problem with another unit would be extremely slim indeed.

JackS

Supporting Actor
The Mc is no doubt in a niche above the Ref50 but the great equalizer here should be the addition of the amp. All answers here would be very subjective and opinionated. The reccommendation to exchange for a new receiver is very good advice but as I read your post, this wasn't an option your dealer offered. If you'd like to stay with the Mc Intosh, work your dealer into agreeing to an exchange otherwise, I would accept the Ref50+amp.

Steve_B

Auditioning
Thanks JackS. I totally understand the comments regarding subjectivity and opinions. I am asking a question that, unfortunately, doesn't have a right answer :-(

To clarify your comment a bit, do you think the B&K combo is comparable the the Mc receiver, or is the Mc in itself a better?

Unfortunately the I'd have to pay the difference if I was to opt for the MHT200. I am considering that path if I can get a fairly steep cut in the price. I've spent enough $$ with these guys, so they should help me out.

STEVE :
MY 2 cents worth. i sold and owned mac equiptment and their
is no finer or customer oriented company. Some of these guys are going to get pissrd off at me for what I am about to say.MAC will be here when most of these brands will be forgotten and when you go to trade or upgrade none have a higher resail dollar take alook at some of the used sights
if you don't beleive me. If your dealer will not work with you i suggest you speak to them directly in Bingimton N.Y.
BTW i donot own mac at the momoent i wish I did cannot afford it at this time. I hope this helps.

RAY

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks