McIntosh or Anthem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bryan Warren, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Bryan Warren

Bryan Warren Auditioning

Hello everyone,

I need some opinions. Should I buy the Mcintosh MC207 MX135 combo, or the Anthem D1 P5 P2 combo. I use the system for half and half music and movies, and drive Magnepan speakers. Price on both setups are the same. Some pros and cons would be great.

Thanks for the help,
    Bryan

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Bryan

You might do better posting this in the gigantic Maggie thread in the Speaker-Subwoofer section. Everything related to Maggies has been discussed.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Anthem processor.

4. Jody_R

Jody_R Auditioning

It depends on your priorities. I'm personally evaluating the same question, except I'm looking at the MX-119 and MC207 or AVM-30 and P5.

Basically, if you go with McIntosh, you'll need some extra boxes on your rack if you're gonna want video processing and hdmi switching. I'm not even sure if the macs have lip-sync, as it wasn't a question i thought to ask when i was auditioning.

The anthem gear, after the upgrade is completed, will do everything in one box. It's also possible to tweak just about anything you could think of with the anthem.

It may sound like I'm advocating Anthem, but I'm actually a McIntosh guy. I was also reading the Arcam thread, and a lot of people with Anthem gear said they switched to Arcam because it was more "musical." The one thing I see a lot is that the anthem can be fatiguing when listening for music for long periods of time. To be fair, most said they weren't unsatisfied with the anthem (especially for HT), but that they just prefered arcam.

On the same note, I'd think that McIntosh would probably sound better with Maggies, based one what I know about each brand.

You really need to go and listen to both the anthem and mcintosh though. Both companies make great components. I'm a music first guy though, so I'm leaning towards mcintosh. I haven't auditioned the Anthem statement gear yet though.

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Depends on your speakers. I have rather laid back speakers and my Anthem AVM-20 is a great match to them (ACI Sapphires). Also, Anthem is the be all, end all, of customer service. They will not let you down in terms of upgrades, software downloads, you name it. I've had my Anthem for 5 years now nearly and I wouldn't hesitate to get another Anthem piece in the future.

I have never heard Maggies so I don't know their sonic character so it's tough for me to recommend.