What's new

McHale's Navy -- 50th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
All right you eightballs....
I suspect because we lost Ernest Borgnine back in early July, this anniversary is pretty low-key at this time -- but Mary Clare Kendall from Forbes magazine has written an excellent article on the legacy of both Ernest and "McHale's Navy" and how they changed the lives of many and the unexpected benefit the show was to the US Navy to this day -- hopefully, one day, remastered and released on bluray....?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/maryclairekendall/2012/10/11/remembering-ernest-borgnine-on-50th-anniversary-of-mchales-navy-premiere/
Here are some promotional pictures as well:
ernestborgnine3033.jpg

ernestborgnine887.jpg

ernestborgnine3251485.jpg

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
-- hopefully, one day, remastered and released on bluray....?
Wouldn't that be great! Of course both movies "McHale's Navy" and "McHale's Navy Joins The Air Force" were released on blu-ray a year or so ago and look really good. I'd love to have the entire series released in the same high quality. Fun show to revisit and Mr. Borgnine has always been one of my favorite actors.
(I'm still waiting for "Emperor Of The North Pole" to come out on blu-ray)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I know that MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) was released in the DVD-R format. When (precisely) were both MCHALE'S NAVY feature films made available in Blu-ray? Is this in North Amercia? I would certainly would like to know more.
Jeff T.
:D

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
JeffT. said:
I know that MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) was released in the DVD-R format. When (precisely) when were both MCHALE'S NAVY feature films made available in Blu-ray? Is this in North Amercia? I would certainly would like to know more.
Jeff T.
Australia

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Madman Entertainment has the blu-ray set featuring both movies for $9.95 which is a really good price compared to what I paid when it came out last year. The blu-ray set will play on North American players too which is nice - you won't need a region free player.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Thank you both for your responses! I will definitely look into this. It is always nice to be in the company of some pleasant helpful classic tv enthusiasts.
As a matter-of-fact I just placed my order and when it arrives I will give a report. This is as close to a quality DVD release we are ever likely to get so naturally I seized the opportunity before it is too late.
I (previously) started my own discussion thread here on a (possible) DVD release of MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) and MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIR FORCE (1965) both of which I saw in their original theatrical releases.
Jeff T.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Walsh61 said:
Madman Entertainment has the blu-ray set featuring both movies for $9.95 which is a really good price compared to what I paid when it came out last year. The blu-ray set will play on North American players too which is nice - you won't need a region free player.
Thanks for the updated info. I ordered one. It was about $40 last year.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I have the bluray too and even though both movies are on the same disc, the image quality is excellent.
It also has Jerry Fieldling's score on an isolated separate channel, film of the opening title sequence without the main titles superimposed over them and comes with a booklet on the history of the show and the success of the movies plus a foldup version of the pressbook for "McHale's Navy Joins the Air Force".
The show has always been popular down here over the years (as has Ernest Borgnine) which may be the reason we got first cab off the rack, so to speak -- the disc is playable for all regions on bluray and is in it's original mono sound.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Well it arrived! Actually 'they' arrived as I ordered two copies. Having seen both movies in their original theatrical releases these MCHALE'S NAVY feature films have a special interest to me.
I am very pleased with the Australian blu-ray MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) and MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIR FORCE (1965) double feature single disc set. The video source elements used are in pristine condition. The inclusion of a special "background" booklet on both films was also a very nice addition.
I just wanted to extend my sincere appreciation for having been thoughtfully notified about this (in this very discussion thread) and it is (naturally) personally gratifying when something that is long sought after-desired is successfully obtained.
Jeff T.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Great news that you finally got the "McHale's Navy" movies on bluray -- both do look fantastic and like you, I've have always wanted to see them in the best possible state after taping them over the years (on audio cassette, pre-video, and numerous times on video cassette from tv showings).
Here's a publicity portrait from the 1964 theatrical movie that was used on the vhs release of the movie in the late 1990s as well as the original poster artwork by Joe Smith that was sold on an online auction a couple of years ago:
mchalesnavy.jpg

MCH8.jpg

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I vividly remember seeing the fantastic MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) one-sheet poster prominently on display at the State Theatre located in Westend Toronto and boy was I ever sold on it. I just had to see that movie!
While watching MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIR FORCE (1965) last weekend there was (what was supposed to be) a night time Japanese air raid on a South Pacific-located U.S. Air Force base and black-and-white stock film footage of U.S. fighter planes taking off in the dark of night was utilized which came as quite an unexpected revelation as I don't recall this particular scene not being in colour (or at least tinted). This is not a criticism just an interesting observation on my part.
Well, I think that I will watch both MCHALE'S NAVY films again this coming weekend as I enjoyed them so much. Once again thank you for everything!
Jeff T.

vikesfan1963

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Great news that you finally got the "McHale's Navy" movies on bluray -- both do look fantastic and like you, I've have always wanted to see them in the best possible state after taping them over the years (on audio cassette, pre-video, and numerous times on video cassette from tv showings).
Here's a publicity portrait from the 1964 theatrical movie that was used on the vhs release of the movie in the late 1990s as well as the original poster artwork by Joe Smith that was sold on an online auction a couple of years ago:
mchalesnavy.jpg

MCH8.jpg
I love these. Does anyone have these without the photobucket watermark?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Try right-clicking the image and then "open in a new tab". The watermark goes away but the resolution looks smaller. -BUT! if you then copy and paste THAT image in your own photo processing software, it returns to its full size.

vikesfan1963

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
mchalesnavy.jpg

MCH8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks