McGahee -- unlucky but smart

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

It was revealed today that Willis McGahee, who suffered one of the most gruesome knee injuries I have ever seen on TV, signed a $2.5 million insurance policy just HOURS before the national championship game on Friday. It will pay him $2.5 million--tax free--if he fails to play football in the next 12 months, which seems a certainty. As he was only a sophomore, McGahee can pocket that money and still rehab by his senior year, enabling him to still make it to the NFL.

I bet the insurance agent who wrote the policy isn't too happy right now!

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Good for him. And I was thinking of all the lost millions he would have given up for even if he returns, he will probably be a shadow of his former self and never would have commanded the financial windfall that he surely would have gotten this April.

3. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I believe McGahee's injury was a result of the jinx of the Detroit Lions! Before Friday's game, the Lion's appeared to be prepared to take McGahee with the second pick of this year's draft, assuming McGahee announced he was going pro.
    Probably after hearing he might become the next Detroit Lion, McGahee decided it was best to take out a really big insurance policy... [​IMG]

4. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Yup, he sure was lucky that he got that insurance policy made out, but at the same time, it is nothing compared to the signing bonus he would have gotten if he declared for the draft. Would've been taken in the top five at least, which means a signing bonus of betwee $5-10 Million.
    His injury is the worst thing that I have seen since Joe Theismann, and I think that there is a 50-50 chance that his career is over. In the best case scenario, he will return to be 90% effective, which still means that he will make the NFL, but will probably be a third down back only. He was lucky that he didnt sever an artery.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If Detroit had taken McGahee in next year's draft at the #2 spot, he would have signed a contract worth well over $30 million. Joey Harrington's contract was worth about $36 million, including a $12 million signing bonus, and he was the #3 pick. It's nice that he had the intelligence and forethought to protect himself, but the policy will never make up for all the money lost if he cannot fully recover and become a future high draft pick.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Well, that's some solace, but I hope he plays again. Knee injuries are much more treatable these days, so hopefully he'll return.

Fortunately I only saw that hit once (but I can still see it in my head). Horrible.

7. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

I missed the hit ..... what happened ?

8. Scott Merryfield

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

10. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

My girlfriend is one of the trainers for FSU and she said that McGahee will definitely not be playing next year (as if we already didn't know that).

11. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Damn, i throught this thread was about me... [​IMG]
    Mike McGee

12. Lowell_B

Lowell_B Second Unit

From the sound of it I'm glad I missed the injury. I watched most of the first half and then caught the final few minutes + both overtimes and was wondering what exactly happened to McGahee. It sucks to see it's such a horrid injury, here's hoping he gets as full a recovery as possible.

Lowell

13. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

The hit was downright nasty. I do realize that 2.5 million does not make up for all the coin he was to recieve in the NFL with signing bonuses these days, but it's still 2.5 million more in a lump sum than I will ever see in my lifetime (barring some freak occurance) so it's hard for me to feel TOO bad for him now. I still hope he returns to the game and remains an effective player.

14. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

The first replay of his injury was horrific!! His leg looked like a rubber band had snapped in half.

15. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

He's planning to still enter the draft most likely to secure the insurance money and get some sort of signing bonus as he sits out at least a year. Think he'll go higher than the end of the 3rd round?? Should be interesting.
    http://www.espn.com

16. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I got those quotes from the sporting news. I read and reread the whole article and it doesn't make sense to me. To paraphrase it says that he's planning on playing in the NFL next season as though he was never injured. I'm no expert but wouldn't it it be a bad move for some team to give this guy a multi million dollar contract?

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Insurance aside, I am surprised that McGahee is entering the draft. It's a smart move for him, but not for any team that drafts him. He can't possibly think that he is going to go high. Would he not be better off rehabing the knee, playing another year at Miami, and entering the draft a year later? The problem is that he runs the risk of not making it back or getting hurt again in college. By entering the draft now, if he doesn't make it back or gets hurt again, he does it with an NFL contract. Still, I wonder who will take a risk on him. In the end, McGahee made a smart business decision, but I can't see who would want him. Pay him the rookie minimum and hope he makes it back...then lose him to free agency. [​IMG]

18. Scott Merryfield

I can see a team risking a 3rd or 4th round choice on McGahee, but he will not get a big contract if he's drafted in those rounds. The money really drops off after the 2nd round, with small signing bonuses and minimum salaries. The NFL does not offer guaranteed contracts, so the only money a player gets to keep from a multi-year contract if cut is the signing bonus. Therefore, there is minimal risk (other than losing a draft pick) to any team taking him in the 3rd round or later.

I doubt that McGahee will be able to play effectively this season. Most running backs returning from this type of injury need a full year to recover completely. Look at E. James with the Colts last season. He was not the same player last season (his first back from a similar injury).

19. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I really don't understand his rationale for going pro right now. Coming back from an injury of that severity is no sure thing...it seems as though rehabbing for a year, collecting his $2.5 million insurance money, and going back for his Senior year would be the best route, but I'm sure his agents have thought about every scenario.

20. Scott Merryfield

Isn't the insurance for a "career-ending injury"? In that case, if he returned to Miami and played college ball, his career would not be over, and therefore he would not get the insurance money anyway.

The only reason the return to college would be to rehab and prove that he's 100% healed from the injury. That would enhance his future draft position, which would translate into a bigger contract. However, he can probably get better rehab care in the NFL than in college.