McDonald's upset over new dictionary word

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Paul Chalk, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Hmmmm do I smell a Egg McMuffin?
    Ooops, that's a lawsuit I smell. How could I confuse the two???

Before the lawsuit....
    McJob (mek jäb') n. a low-paying job that requires little skill and provides little opportunity for advancement

After the lawsuit....
    McJob (mek jäb') n. a good paying job that requires little English skills (would you like to supersize that?) and provides opportunity for advancement to Lord of the Grease.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I feel sorry when I see the people sweating over making our food in the back of the McDonalds. They get a sh*tty view and get paid jack squat. I wish they'd get machines to replace them already (preferrably a T-X).

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Some need those jobs to survive, I wouldn't wish for them to go away. So many decent jobs have disappeared, people need something.
    I treat them as equals with respect instead of feeling sorry for them; But if the screw up my order........

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I don't care what Merriam-Webster says Mcjob is not a word. It's not even slang that I've ever heard of. I wonder what inspired them to disrespect McDonalds employees like that? Maybe M-W couldn't come up with any impressive new words this year so they threw that one into the mix to justify releasing a revised version.

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Lets see 1000 people out of the 400000 employed by McDonalds have succeeded in getting their own franchises.

1000/400000 * 100 = 0.25%

Sure is nice to see that McDonalds has been so successful helping the counter staff realize the American Dream. Keep up the good work. [​IMG]

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

As someone who used to work for McD's during college, I just want to put some perspective on this. I'm sure that I am in the minority, but as far as I'm concerned that definition is not representative of every McD's employee.

I used to work on the evening shift for over two years while I was in 1st and 2nd year, and they were some of the best times. I really did meet a lot of good people there, some of whom I still keep in touch with almost 15 years later. Every night that we closed the entire shift went to a local diner to just BS the morning away and for some early morning breakfast or go out to some places that were still open. Granted that bowling alleys aren't exactly the equivalent of a stork club, but we had a blast nonetheless regardless of where we went.

Yes, it was low wage. But it made more than any other job since closers got a bit more and it was better than living off of the parents. Did I expect to make it a career? Hell, no. Anyone who does has no real aspirations for themselves as far as I'm concerned. But if you can get into a good store with a good manager, it's a good place for teens and college students to work.

Almost all of the adults with whom I worked, particularly on the rare morning shifts, were there for no reason than to make some extra money instead of sit around the house. And again these were good people who still recognize me and ask me how I'm doing when I go back on occasion - some 15 years later.

So, don't feel sorry for the people who work there. Not all of them deserve (or want) any pity.

Personally, I don't blame McDonald's one bit for being upset with M-W. I have never heard that term before and agree that it was made up most likely to just get attention.

8. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Well good to hear from people behind the counter! I always assumed by all the long faces I saw, McyD's workers hated their job.

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

They didn't invent the term. It has been in usage for some time now. The term McJob has generally been used to denote boring work of low stature, low pay, low benefits, and low opportunity. Their definition of the term is accurate.

The term is not limited to the fast food industry. It has been used to define any work of a low paid, tedious nature.

11. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

12. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

13. TedE

TedE Stunt Coordinator

Take it from somebody who holds an advanced degree in theoretical linguistics: M-W has done nothing wrong here. In fact they are simply doing what lexicographers do, that is take words or terms that have entered common usage and codify them without any political or sociological implications. In fact, Amrican Heritage Dictionary has the same entry (although many linguists may agree that American Heritage is not the best dictionary out there, by a long shot; they take more liberties and are quicker to create entries. Normally, lexicographers tends not to take "chances" with new entires).

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Is "conversate" a word? I've heard people use it, but I'm dubious that it's a "bonafide" word yet.

15. Grant B

Grant B Producer

That reminds me, I was going to go out and buy some Diatomaceous (die-uh-toe-may-shus) Earth,which isn't dirt or earth, not even colored like it. It consists of the broken up shells of tiny critters, called diatomes, that lived long ago and died in groups so massive that they can, today, be mined and bull-dozed.
    Thanks TedE![​IMG]

16. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

17. TedE

TedE Stunt Coordinator

18. TedE

TedE Stunt Coordinator

19. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well, the word "mcjobs" certainly isn't ubiquitous...at least not yet. [​IMG]

i can see where mickey-d's is coming from though. i guess i would be kinda upset if the term "he pulled a ted" became popular slang.

i've always tried to treat everyone, regardless of vocation, as an equal. those people at mcdonalds are trying to earn a living...just like everyone else. why should they get stuck with a clearly negative connotation.