McDonald's says it may outsource drive-thrus

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ThomasC, Mar 12, 2005.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Really!?!

That's just crazy.

3. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

A friggin mazing.

Someone who isnt even in the same state as you will be taking your order.

Hey McD's, just keep what you are doing, and give me all the money you will spend on facilitating all this garbage.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

they outsource a lot, the ND accent comment is significant [​IMG]

5. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Just wait until they say,..

"I will not place your order for a slaughtered cow product, you will have a McChicken. Would you like fries with that?"

[​IMG]

6. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I heard about this some time ago. Recently I went through a McD's drive through and the order-lady had an Indian accent. She wasn't the person at the window & I have no idea whether whe was at the location or in Bangalore.

7. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

I read about this a couple of months ago as well. I think Hardees is the one that is already doing it on a trial basis.

8. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Wonder how far off we are from food ordered to go and delivered w/o a human hand touching it...

Reminds me of the Stainless Steel Rat series...

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I"m curious about the call center that will do it, during peak hours you'd need one person dedicated to one store, but at others one could handle say 20 stores at times, what happens if your staffing is off? Hold times at the D/T?

10. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

They use a recording, usually the voice of an employee, just so they dont have the say the whole "welcome to mcdonalds" thing over and over, for every customer.

11. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Let's see, what else along these lines. Perhaps a major outsourced pizza call center or take out chinese. Or one major outsourced call center handling all fast food. Hello, may I help you, that would be Kung Pao Spicy Chicken with extra cheese and pepperoni. Or 2 big mac's and a side of fried rice. Would you like that fried rice supersized. Ah, the 21st century...

12. Lee ps

Lee ps Agent

Foreign proccessing of billing information has been going on for quite some time now.

13. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    drive-thru billing information? if so, then this may just work...

CJ

14. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

This seems idiotic. Voice recognition software is about strong enough to handle a drive-thru menu since you know what to expect.. hell, just have a sign that says "please order by numer"

And then have all the items numbered.

Machine:

"Welcome to McDonalds. Please say the # of the item you would like, or key it into the keypad."
    "Thank you"
    "I have your order confirmed as: xxxxxx"

Please pull ahead.

15. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

They all use such crappy speakers and mics why not simply have a touch pad, a confirmation screen, and hit confirm and be done with it. Then all they would need to finalise anything that has an error is either cancel order, back one step, or clear. Why is the obvious missed by such large companies (They went to icons for the registers so their workers would key in the right prices yet a similar system isn't implemented on the opposite side of the register, why not put the onus on the ordering customer?)?

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

that's pretty much how the newer POS systems work, at that rate there won't be a cashier, just push the picture of what you want and slide your credit card.

the problem is with the modifiers, mcd's like that made for you stuff, and telling it extra cheese, no lettuce, no ketchup etc would be beyond the average consumer's grasp.

17. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

There is a pizza chain in Canada that was doing this quite a few years ago. I phoned one of their local outlets to order a pizza and a call center employee answered the phone. I live in British Columbia and the call center was in Alberta. I thought the whole idea was stupid. I have never ordered a pizza from that particular chain again.

18. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Edwin, there's a pizza chain here too that does that too. I also won't order from them again.

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

MacDonalds have tested such a system, I believe, and yes, the move to standard icons was part of that plan.

20. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

They do this and I'm never eating at McDs again. I rarely ever eat there now, but this sort of thing is just too much. Is it really so expensive to pay a local high school kid $6/hr to take someone's order?

If they want to cut costs, the execs need to play muscial chairs for their jobs until 3/4 of them are gone, and then blanket fire half of the corporate employees that are left under them.

Why the hell does it take a CEO and massive corp. to serve people a decent burger, fries, and a coke? I hope In'n'Out buys the McD corporation someday and just shuts them all down out of pride.