What's new

McDonald’s to accept credit cards (1 Viewer)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
BTW - I thought surcharges was against VISA policy?
Win, I guess I should have clarified that a bit. The places I'm talking about don't take credit cards outright, they just take VISA debit cards. Subtle difference, I know. Anyway, so since it's a debit transaction, they charge a fee. I personally think 50 cents is a bit on high side.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Haven't paid fees here since they started it.
Must be nice where you are. But, as with everything else in this country, things are not the same everywhere. I'll bet you have restaurant chains there that I've never heard of, and vice versa. So, just because something has been happening in your area, doesn't mean it's not news.
Places like McDonalds are rather good at doing regional food specials as well. Then every now and then they'll launch one of them as national. It's still news for everyone outside of that region.
yeesh, slow forum day if this is what Michael chooses to argue about. Even more so for me for being irked by it.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Off topic, but you know what's "last week"? That fucking picture posted above stating "Welcome to last week."

SteveA

Supporting Actor
In the 10+ years that I've been using credit/debit cards, do you know how many times I've been asked for a picture ID? ONCE! It was 1995, late at night at a gas station in North Carolina. Merchants never, ever ID.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
While McDonald's says that the goal is speedier checkouts, I think the real goals are:

1. Get you to buy more than you would if you were limited to cash on hand.
2. Eventually introduce a "Golden Arches" credit card with special food perks. As it stands now, they will have to pay Visa/Mastercard a percentage of sales, so they'll either have to raise prices or get people to use a McDonald's card.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
In the 10+ years that I've been using credit/debit cards, do you know how many times I've been asked for a picture ID? ONCE! It was 1995, late at night at a gas station in North Carolina. Merchants never, ever ID.
Oh my goodness Steve, you don't know HOW lucky you are!! I can't buy anything any of our three malls in town, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompuUSA, Suncoast, etc without presenting an ID.

I honestly don't mean to derail this thread since I've griped about this in the past on a different thread, but MAN, I so get tired of having to hassle every cashier and manager about the "checking ID" practice. I'm sure they spot me on their cameras and dread me buying something since I always raise such a fuss.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
So not only are the getting us more fat, they are giving us the privelage of getting into debt while doing it? :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
merchants are also not supposed to demand to see a picture ID either. How many stores have you been to that don't do this?
I thought the only time they could ask for your ID is that if there wasn't a signature on the back of the card...I don't have a signature on at least one of my cards, so I get asked for my ID probably a few times max each year, no biggie.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
There is one location here in Oklahoma City that did CC's for a while, then they stopped, must have been part of the test, I look forward to it, as sometimes I can go 2 weeks without carrying any cash, and this would be a heck of a lot more convenient than going to an ATM.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Travis, I hear you. It's a pain to have to stop for cash just to get fast food. I am so used to using my ATM card most everywhere, that I don't carry cash all that often either.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Up here in Canada, the Interac network is pretty extensive. Most places, except convenience stores/small shops accept debit cards these days.
[rant]
What pissed me off was the local "Rotten Ronnie's" used to accept Interac. Then they stopped. One day it happened that I was in the restaurant. Turns out they stopped using the Interac the day they put a white-label ATM in the joint.
[/rant]
So you want $20? It costs you $1.50 to do so, on top of what ever fees your bank charges you. :angry:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Found this while I was searching for something else. My local McDonald's finally started accepting credit cards in mid-July.

Colton

Supporting Actor
So, if you get $5,000 worth of McDonalds over a period of one year ... file Chapter 13 bankruptcy then I guess they'll come repossess their food back?

- Colton

JamesED

Second Unit
So, if you get $5,000 worth of McDonalds over a period of one year ... file Chapter 13 bankruptcy then I guess they'll come repossess their food back?
If I ate $5k food at McDonald's in one year, they would need a shovel to come find me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks