McCoy Tyner: New York Reunion SACD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Aug 24, 2001
    I finally, finally, got this in the mail (along with a Mussourgsky SACD and a Chopin DVD-A) from Elusive Disc after they lost my order. I actually got a call from them last week: "Uh, remember when you ordered some stuff? Ya still want it?"
    I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the SACD layer yet and probably won't get to it in a couple of days (many concerts to go to), but I did just finish listening to the CD layer and wanted to start a thread and, of course, provide my oh-so-important music review.
    This album brings no surprises. I say this because two of the musicians, Tyner and Ron Carter (piano & bass) rank amongst my top 5 musicians of the their respective instruments.
    The material is in the trad/hard-bop vein. The set list is half originals, half standards.
    Al Foster plays drums. He made a name for himself playing with Miles during his fusion days. He has a hard-hitting heavy groove style, a la Jack DeJohnette and Philly Joe Jones. Here, he's also hitting the rim on the up-tempo numbers quite a bit, which I like a lot as it reminds me of Art Blakey (though some folks don't dig that).
    Ron Carter is a freakin' master. Sometimes, I just listen to his harmonic ideas and forget the other musicians. As big a Miles Davis fan as I am, his second quintet is my favorite of all of his material, due in no small part to Carter. I feel that he is the bridge between the bop bass players of bop (Chambers, Brown, etc) and the crisp educated sound of today's masters (Cohen, Pattitucci). IMO, anyone who enjoys modern jazz owes Carter a debt of gratitude. He is in fine form on this album, as he always is.
    Joe Henderson is a war horse of post-bop jazz and he plays with a strong sense of rhythm, a style I began to appreciate after listening to Hank Mobley.
    I think if I were a master jazz pianist, I'd play like Tyner. I listen to what he does and I'm like, "Yes, that's it, exactly!" Anyone who comps for Coltrane deserves props, right? I just love what he does with chords and how he places them in the music.
    I also owe Tyner a debt of gratitude- taking my girlfriend to one of his concerts made her stop hating jazz. She's not going to be a big fan, but at least she can tolerate it. [​IMG]
    So, given the way these cats play, the main thrust on this album is rhythm for the fast numbers. The ballads are nice, too, but it usually takes me a few listens to get into ballads, if at all.
    Any jazz fans would do well to have this album. There is nothing revelatory, but it's just great listening. It's a great disc for jazz newbies, too.
    I can't wait to actually hear the SACD layer. Don't ya hate it when stupid "life" gets in the way of groovin' on tunes?
    PS: I believe Lee Scoggins said he has something to do with making this disc. Thanks, Lee.
    NP: Frank Zappa, Bongo Fury, CD
  2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Aug 30, 2001