McCormack vrs Acurus vrs Bryston

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Doing another search of the various 3-channel amps out there, anybody have an opinion on these? You can see my current setup if you click on the "equipment list" icon above (with the new vBulletin software that we have). I have a Bryston 3BST that I got used last year and would love to get a 5BST if I could find one used but no luck so far. I've seen prices on the following used gear:

McCormack DNA-HT3 $1400 (good condition @ audioclassics.com)

Acurus A200x3 $1100 (factory sealed) @ avalonav.com

Bryston 5BST (none found but probably ~1600 used)

Anybody have an opinion of the above, they'll be replacing a Parasound HCA-1203a which has a bad channel which I don't feel like fixing due to the cost. All seem to get good reviews but the Bryston would be ideal as I really love my 3BST and how it matches with the Snells that I have. My surround speakers are fairly crappy but since I'm primarily an audio guy, I haven't yet replaced them. Still, I like to get decent equipment that will last and Bryston's 20 year transferrable warrentee is awesome.

Jay

2. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

Here's the breakdown:

McCormack > Bryston >>> Acurus

And the Acurus ain't too bad.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have 2 Acurus A200x3 amps for a 6.1 system. Like 'em alot. Even tried out their big brother, the Aragon 8008x3, but couldn't hear enough of a difference to justify the difference in cost (and space! the 8008x3 is 19" wide, not the std 17").

You can get them, brand new, on ubid and ebay for in the $600- $800 range.

BE CAREFUL. The Bryston 5B is only 120W. The Acurus is 200W. Per channel. Plus, Audio reviewed the older 200x3 a while ago, and got 315 W per channel into 8 ohms, and 515 W per channel into 4 ohms. Much more powerful than that Bryston. And... the A200x3 is said to be 20% more efficient into reduced ohm loads than the 200x3!

If you want a "real" Bryston, go with the 6B. 250W/channel. Brand new though. Don't think you'll find them used anytime soon.

If you're seriously considering the Acurus, I could get you a copy of that review if you're interested. One of the reasons why I got it. They really liked it.

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I would like the information or reviews you talked about Acurus Amps as I am seriously considering them. Thanks in advance.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks for the reply guys, the Brystons are also typically way underrated. I actually have a sheet at what the 3BST that I have actually tested as before it left the factory. Plus, the 4ohm Snells E-5s that I have are very efficient for my small room.

Gonna have to check Acurus's website at Klipsch to see if they make a A120x3. you might be correct that the A200 might be overkill though I don't think at the level I play my movies it would be harmful. The Snell CC-5 is 4ohms but the JBL's that I use as surrounds are 8ohms.

Jay

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Jay- There's the A100x3 and the A200x3, no A120x3. [​IMG]
    If anyone does want copies of that Acurus review (and I have some other Acurus reviews too; gives you sort of a general sense of their equipment in general), do one of those private message things, and give me your address. I could probably get them out to you over the weekend.