What's new

McCartney's WINGSPAN - release variations/omissions? (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Upon first hearing about the CD release several weeks ago, I checked Amazon's site, and they list CD 1 with 19 tracks - track 13 is Give Ireland Back To The Irish, first issued on CD on the remastered Wildlife CD, as indicated in the link below:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...096343-5233333
Picking up the CD today at A&B, I had 3 choices - the standard edition, the US limited edition (cloth-cover w/3D slipcase), and the UK edition in 3D slipcase. None of these list the track. I picked up the UK version.
Was this an error on Amazon's part, or did EMI withdraw the track and not issue a press release?
Also, the UK version features the M-II studio version of 'Coming Up'. Do the Canadian & US versions feature the live version? When All The Best was issued, the UK and Canadian version were identical and featured the studio version, and the US edition carried the live single, plus a different 'hit' list. Am I going to have to get another version to get the live single?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think 'Ireland for the Irish' may have been kept off out of sensitivity to the ongoing 'peace' process in Northern Ireland (the song was banned in the UK when it was first released). The other differences in track listings may be due to appealing to local markets or it may be part of the policy of offering different versions of albums in the UK. There has been a big fuss over here about supermarkets importing best-selling albums from the rest of Europe or the USA because they can be offered at a cheaper price. In retaliation, record companies have started offering 'UK only editions' with a different (and often superior) track listing, thereby forcing supermarkets to stock the region-appropriate product if they don't want to disappoint the customer.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
The US edition contains the live Coming Up. (Picked this up for $12.99 at Best Buy -- whatta bargain!)
The omission of Give Ireland Back To The Irish is a bit surprising, seeing as how this is supposed to be a "history" of the first half of McCartney's solo career and that track is certainly important historically.
But, I guess I can understand the point of view of not releasing it in the current climate. It'll probably show up in one version or another on the rarities box set that's supposedly on the way for the holidays.
Ryan

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
"Ireland" will probably be on the box set due around Xmas. The only diffences is the US version has a live version of Coming Up and the UK version has the studio version. Hardly worth buying twice since you could just buy McCartney II.
------------------
I have a fever! A fever for more cowbell!!! - C. Walken

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I'll probably still have to buy the US version...
------------------
kpsig.jpg
"Take it easy kid...it's only a movie!"

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
There's a box set coming out?! Dammit!!! I just bought this today...ah well, for 14 bucks it was a pretty sweet deal. Any details as to what will be in the box set?
For those that care, I noticed a significantly better sound than previous McCartney CD's. But then again, I don't own any of the white-spine UK remasters, so I could be wrong. Anybody got an answer?
And Keith, I looked at the 2 versions of Wingspan at my Best Buy, and "Ireland" wasn't anywhere to be found. All the retail sites are still listing it though...
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The plain 2 CD set is at Costco for $13.99. To verify, it does not have the "Ireland" track. That song is still available on Wings Wild Life CD from UK or Holland. The disk has an odd choice. It's not just Wings songs, but McCartney solo songs, too. The collection starts with tracks from McCartney 1 and end at Give my regards to Broadstreet. One track on CD for the first time is the Single version of Venus and Mars / Rockshow, which was edited down for radio play.ool
Some songs noteworthy that did not make the cut (maybe on the box set, if there is one upcoming): Sally G, Getting Closer, Wonderful Xmastime, So Bad, Pound is Sinking, Here Today, Girls School.
Also the missing years (1985-present): Spies like us, Press, My Brave Face, Oue Le Soleil, Put It there, Hope of Deliverance, In the world tonight. Maybe he wants to keep sales of those CDs up.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, the box set is supposed to be more of an Anthology type release, so expect lots of demos, live tracks, and B-sides.
I am buying Wingspan at lunch, but I am pissed that the short versions of Junior's Farm and With A Little Luck or on it. It means I have to keep my old Wings Greatest Hits for those two songs. Also, I have never heard the studio version of Maybe I'm Amazed, so I hope it equals the live version (the only version I ever hear on the radio). And do we need two versions of No More Lonely Nights?
At least we were spared Ebony and Ivory & Say Say Say.
By the way, Paul's post McCartney 2 period is prevelent in the used bins of most Seattle area stores. There must be a dozen copis of Flowers in the Dirt and Pressed to Play at my local Wherehouse.
------------------
I have a fever! A fever for more cowbell!!! - C. Walken

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I can understand why Say Say Say was not included, knowing the animosity created by MJ after the Pipes of Peace Sessions. What would be nice if McCartney would include the Solo version of Ebony and Ivory, which has never appeared on CD (the B-side of 12" single). It's not bad hearing only his vocals on both parts.Don't know what his current relationship with Stevie Wonder is like.
I'll second, if you want the longer versions of Juniors Farm, you will need to keep your Wings Greatest or All The Best (US) and the LP With a little luck sounds best on London Town.
It's ironic that he included the song Girlfriend (from London Town, circa 1978). It was a song written for Michael Jackson, which he eventually used on his Off the Wall LP (1979). Another odd choice is the
As for Maybe I'm amazed, its very subjective. Most will say the studio version has the more powerful vocals and more prominent bassy guitar sound, while the live version (taken from Wings over America 3LP) is a more polished version with a Jimmy McCullough guitar solo. The cleanest live version is on the new Japanese 3CD set (a whopping $80 price tag!)

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
An update to the song selection: If the content of the Wingspan set is compared to the UK McCartney collection releases (with bonus tracks), then here is the track breakdown:
McCartney-5 (Lovely Linda, Every Night, Man We Was Lonely, Junk, Maybe I'm Amazed)
RAM - 5 (Too Many People, Uncle Albert, Heart of the Country, Back Seat of My Car, Another Day)
Wild Life - 2 (Tomorrow, BipBop medley)
Red Rose Speedway - 3 (My Love, Hi Hi HI, Cmoon)
Band On the run - 5 (Band On the run, Jet, Bluebird, Let Me Roll it, Helen Wheels)
Venus and Mars - 3 (Venus and Mars/Rockshow, Call Me Back Again, Listen To What the Man Said)
Speed of Sound - 2 (Let 'em in, Silly Love Songs)
London Town - 3 (With a little luck, Girlfriend, Mull of Kintyre)
Back to the Egg - 2 (Rockestra Theme, Daytime Nightime suffering)
McCartney 2 - 2 (Waterfalls, Goodnight Tonight)
Tug of War - 2 (Tug of War, Take it Away)
Pipes of Peace - 1 (Pipes of Peace)
Give my regards to Broadstreet - 2 (No More Lonely Nights (ballad), playout version)
The remainder are on either All the Best or Wings Greatest,
(Live and Let Die, Juniors Farm, Coming Up (live),
Can Someone tell me what is lacking in the edited version of Juniors Farm?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
What did y'all think of the TV show last night?
Some of the film clips and home movies were cool!
- Steve

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I only got to watch the first half of "Wingspan" but I made sure to tape the entire thing; I'll finish it up tonight. So far it's pretty good (loved the home movies of the McCartney family on the farm), but when I left off it was 1972-73; dunno how they're going to cram the next 30 years into one hour (counting commercials). Does it only detail Wings or does it go beyond into McCartney's solo career?
Oh yeah, I have another question about the companion CD's. I bought the regular edition, and noticed on the first disc that there was a purple mark on the bottom. It looked like a "2" and seemd to me that it was printed on. The disc plays perfectly though, so there are no problems. I thought it might be some symbol to show that the CD couldn't be ripped and copied into MP3 format, but the 2nd disc doesn't have this symbol. Anybody else have a situation like this?
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The show stopped at the Japan pot bust, which signified the end of Wings; the playout during the credits was the promo video that he and Linda did for Coming Up off of McCartney II.
I guess that's one way to avoid talking about the movie Give My Regards To Broadstreet. :) For a lark, I put on my LD of this one...somehow, I don't think we'll ever be seeing this one on DVD.
- Steve

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Wingspan TV-movie was certainly better to watch than Beatles Revolution, which was more of a marketing tool to sell Beatles 1. Although the same can be said of Wingspan, at least it seemed more sincere. The promo films for the wings songs looked so clean. There are actually videos for almost every song on Back To The Egg, there was a TV special with all the videos. I think it was an experiment in 1979-80 to make whole video albums, ELO and Blondie and others did the same thing. You can see ELO's video album on the Live At Wembley DVD.
He almost did some revisionist history by saying he was the first to leave the Beatles, but quickly added it was John who left first.
According to Beatlefan, there will be a Box set due Xmas which has outtakes and demos, live stuff ala Anthology. It may or may not coincide with McCartney's new album.

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
I have just learned that "Take it Away" is on Wingspan. Made me think about buying it. Geez - it sure is bargained priced.
But....
As I already own "McCartney", "Ram", "Red Rose..", "Band on the Run", "London Town" and "Back to the Egg", and I would rather buy "Venus and Mars" complete, I cannot justify the purchase based on the tracklist.
What I WOULD buy (to replace some of the above titles from sadly worn vinyl) is a collection of McCartney ROCKERS. I admit that the guy may be a whiz at saccharine ballads... but every one of his albums always featured at least one perfect example of good old rockin' POWER POP!! Y'know - the kind of music bands like Cheap Trick built a career on.
I don't even think Paul realizes just how damned good he is at this!

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I ripped one file from Wingspan and it played just fine, so I don't think there are any copy protection schemes on the discs.
Of note, the single version of Take it away is on disc 2, not the sequed version from Tug of war, and Venus Mars/Rock show is edited 45 version, not the long version from Venus and Mars album. Also, the 2nd version of No More Lonely Nights is not just the playout version, but a newly mixed year 2000 version, as described in press releases.

Jim Benard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
The CD is just awesome. It's nice to have so many good songs all on 2 discs. He will make a killing on this, deservedly so... I only wish it had "LondonTown" on the disc.
Watching the special makes you think of what could have been if we hadn't lost John. We were so close to having a reunion. Could you imagine :) a DVD collector's edition concert in DTS sound of The Beatles? It really pisses me off that one idiot can take a life that had so much to offer for all of us.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who thought it was odd that this celebration of Wings included so much non-Wings material? Sure, it's a nice set, and the price can't be beat, but if McCartney wanted to reinforce his years with the band, why provide so much "solo" material? Frankly, nothing from McCartney, Ram,

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I don't think this was ever said to be a Wings compilation, just because its called Wingspan. Maybe a last minute marketing strategy called for his solo material to be included to save money on making more greatest hits CDs. Most dedicated fans have all his CDs, so I don't see the problem. I do like the single versions of some of his songs, for the completists.

Users who are viewing this thread