McAfee VirusScan 6.0 and Outlook Express 6.0 - warning!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Dec 10, 2001.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I just have a to vent a little... I am so pissed at McAfee right now.

I have used their VirusScan program before and always liked it. I bought the latest evrsion on Saturday, installed it and downloaded every single update they mentioned (when installing, it lists the version installed and compares it to what's available on their website).

Yesterday I start Outlook Express to check my e-mail. I have two Hotmail accounts set up in it, and I also have some folders where I copy all the mail from the Hotmil accounts to the harddrive on the PC when the Hotmail accounts are getting too full.

It starts checking the Hotmail accounts, and give me an error message. Fine, I get errors every once in a while. I didn't think much of it. But when I click again to send/receive. nothing happens. I click on the folders, nothing happens. It's not frozen, just that nothing happens. Odd, I thought, so I close OE and restart it. I check for e-mail, and I don't get an error message, but it doesn't download the messages like it should, just says that I have e-mail messages.... and in the default "Inbox" folder, there's a message saying "Welcome to Outlook Express 6". Uh-oh.

So I check my other e-mail folders, and they're all completely empty. Everything is deleted. I search the whole computer, and they're gone.

After searching on McAfee's website, I find that they know about this problem, that VirusScan deletes the e-mails in OE 6. But what really pisses me off is that they HAVE A FIX FOR IT, but that fix is NOT included in the updated versions of all the stuff I downloaded when I installed the program. I don't know why, you'd think it would be one of the more important fixes they have.

I got to chat online with one of their support people, and told him about my frustration. That won't do much of course, but at least I got to vent some...

SO I just thought I'd warn anyone that plans on using VirusScan with OE 6 to backup your e-mail before you install it, and to download this fix... it was probabnly the last time I bought something from McAfee.

/Mike

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Does Hotmail keep the downloaded messages somewhere? I use Yahoo mail and when I download my mail using Outlook it moves my messages to the trash folder in my Yahoo account. If I logon to Yahoo mail through a browser I can see those messages in my Trash folder. Yahoo periodically cleans out the trash folder to keep the size down, but I usually have a few days before they get deleted completely. Maybe Hotmail does the same thing.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Bill, yes Hotmail works in a similar way, so I have a few of the most recent e-mails there. The problem is that I periodically (about once or twice a month) transfer everything over from the Hotmail server to folders on my computer, since Hotmail deletes messages if the server space max of 2MB is reached. It was all these local folders that VirusScan deleted. [​IMG]
    /Mike

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Ouch! [​IMG]

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Dude, that sucks. McAfee dropped the ball on this one (and it sounds like they dropped it on your head). Sorry about your problems.