What's new

MCACC vs. EZ-Set vs. Why Bother? (1 Viewer)

John_JLtZD

Grip
Hello, reposting this...it got deleted when the database was corrupted.

I was basically asking about the different flavors of Pioneer's MCACC which it uses to automatically configure speakers to a given room. I was also curious as to how it compared to HK's EZ-Setup and if any other manufacturers have similar utilities.

----

If Steve Schaffer can confirm that he replied that it was the 45TX that is the lowest receiver from pioneer with the full version of MCACC I would apreciate it.

Thanks,

JL

David Judah

Screenwriter
I haven't used HK's set-up, so I'm not familiar with it, but I do have a 45TX. The MCACC is very easy and accurate(just make sure you are not blocking any speakers or have any ambient noise in the room). My only gripe is that it always sets my bookshelf rears as Large, but it is easy to switch manually. Every setting is completely customizable if you want to tweak a bit further as well.

Incidently, the 912 is now Pioneer's lowest line receiver with auto MCACC, but it's not in their Elite line(the 45TX is the lowest line Elite with auto MCACC)and I don't think it has the built-in EQ either among other things.

DJ

David Judah

Screenwriter
It's not an issue for me since I use a Sunfire Cinema Grand amp, but I did hear of some problems others were having. I didn't really follow it too much, but I believe Pioneer made some changes so shut downs were less likely to happen. You could do a search on this Forum and AVS for specifics. I think it would be rare with most kinds of speakers though.

When I first got mine, I did try the internal amps and didn't have any problems even at high levels. Of course, I have 8 ohm B&Ws, so I'm sure they weren't very taxing on the amps. I imagine there could be issues with certain speakers that dip down in impedance at certain frequencies(it's a problem for receivers in general)especially if the EQ applied alot of boost somewhere.

DJ

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The 45TX is the lowest priced model that does EQ as part of the auto MCACC.

The 912 does auto MCACC but not the EQ part.

The owner's manual for my 45TX says not to use speakers below 6 ohm impedance. Mine is an August 02 production model made prior to the anti-shutdown modification, has never shut down but is powering 7 Energy 8 ohm speakers, all set to small.

I would think that the new production models should be able to handle 4 ohmn speakers, especially if set as Small, relieving the need to power hungry sub 80hz frequency ranges.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
From what I've seen on avsforum.com if the manufacture date is 10/02 or later, then you shouldn't have any shut down problems. I've run mine on some 6 ohm's hard all day with no problems.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I don't think HK has any EQ in "EZ set".Just the output level set,which can be done in minutes manually.

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
have you heard of any problems with running a 4ohm load on the elites?
I ran 4ohm speakers on my Pioneer Elite for about six months with no problems at all. I have a Sunfiire Cinema 7 amp now but only really needed that so I could configure my surrounds for full tripole. Full tripole on my surrounds cause a 2.4 ohm load and the Pioneer Elite could not handle that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks