What's new

MC1 VS. MC-8 sonically? (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I have the opprotunity to trade in the MC-1 for a very great price. It would mean going in debt. Yet in a year the trade in won't be available at this price. Is there a vast difference sonic wise between the 8 and the 1? My thoughts are that in a month the MC-1 will be worth about $1500 and it is at the end of its product life, with the 8 I'll be able to upgrade through the computer. Man, sometimes I hate this hobby. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was perfectly happy with my MC-1, but I got the 8 to take advantage of the trade-in. There are some definite sonic improvements, notably with the new version of Logic7 (and it's unclear whether the MC-1 will ever get this version). On 2-channel sources, there are cleaner separations, a more open feeling to the surrounds, and just a better listening experience.

For 5.1 sources, I think you'd be hard-pressed to hear a major difference.

For mono sources, the MC-8 is a much more flexible machine. The MC-1 could not apply the Mono Logic processing to DD sources, but the MC-8 can. This may or may not be important to you, depending on your DVD viewing habits.

M.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

"with the new version of Logic7 (and it's unclear whether the MC-1 will ever get this version)"

No, it won't. Lexicon has announced software development on the MC-1 and earlier processors is done. They are spending all their time on the new DSP platform in the MC-8 and MC-12.

Shawn

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Shawn- I think that I know that the MC-12 and MC-8 run different versions of software? (I.e., not like the DC-2/MC-1 which could run the same version?)

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

" I think that I know that the MC-12 and MC-8 run different versions of software?"

From what Lexicon has said the software is similiar between the two but not identical because they do have some differences in their DSP sections, notably the Crystal DSP is newer in the MC-8. Also the capabilities of the two differ somewhat... the MC-12 can process the 5.1 input for example where in the MC-8 it is only a pass-through, more subs outs in MC-12...etc..etc. For now the MC-8 has a few modes that the MC-12 lacks.. Panorama, THX Ultra II and DTS 96/24.

As far as L7 in the two I'd assume that is the same version.

Shawn

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

"Are these planned for the next MC-12 software release? Any idea when the next release is scheduled?"

A few people have called Lexicon customer support and asked about the next release as they haven't officially announced anything yet. From what they were told it does sound like they will be in the next release and that it will be in the Julyish time frame though that is subject to change. See the Lexicon forum for more info as there is some interesting news for what else may be included.

Shawn

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I thought that you could apply DSP to the 5.1 ch inputs if you wanted to on the MC-8 too? (Can't remember where I saw that, or maybe I'm assuming it from reading too many MC-12 reviews in the past 10 days... :) )

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

"I thought that you could apply DSP to the 5.1 ch inputs if you wanted to on the MC-8 too?"

Nope, on the MC-8 it is a pass-thru only. The MC-12 gives you the option of DSP or a straight analog pass-thru.

Shawn

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Lexicon has announced software development on the MC-1 and earlier processors is done. They are spending all their time on the new DSP platform in the MC-8 and MC-12.
Thanks, Shawn. I suspected as much but couldn't remember whether there had been an announcement. I suspect the MC-1 simply doesn't have the processor power to run the newer L7 software.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks