What's new

MC-8 crossover setting help (1 Viewer)

raymond caputo

Stunt Coordinator
its been two month now since i have my mc-8...i am a little confused as to where i should properly set my crossover points..i have set it up according to lexicons specs for bass enhance: 40 main,120 center, large or full sides,40 rear and 40 sub....i'm concerned because my side speakers lowest range is 65hz and my rears 55hz...i have snell xa90's front, xa55 center...psb's for sides and rear....i might also add that the snells have a built in sub...so i am unsure if i should set a crossover point or set it to none....there is also reference to speakers set to large or small, however correct me if i'm wrong, but the mc-8 doesn't have a setting for large or small...right now i have all speakers set to 10hz higher then the lowest point...some suggestions would be apppreciated....

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
If the MC-8 is like the MC-12, there's no "small" or "full"... you set the actual crossover frequencies.

You didn't mention a separate sub, just the subs "built in" to the Snell fronts. If this is the case, set the front crossover to "none", and tell the MC-8 that there is no separate sub. Set the crossover for center, sides and rears to something at or above the capability of each speaker. Thus the "40 rear" setting is too low for sides that only go down to 55.

In my MC-12 system, I cross sides and rears over at 70Hz --even though they are flat to about 55 Hz --just to minimize modulation distortion and the risk of cooking their little woofers. I have two dedicated subs, so bass is not a problem. If yours are now "set to 10hz higher then the lowest point" that should be fine.

Lexicon's "Bass Enhance" I believe requires sides with full bass capability. Since it doesn't appear that you have this (I don't either) don't bother with bass enhance.

raymond caputo

Stunt Coordinator
hi dave...thanks for the info...when you start playing around with different settings (for hours), after awhile everything starts to sound crappy....i will disengage bass enhance feature and put the sub to none...i actually toggled with both none and a crossover to match the mains,and didn't hear a difference....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks