What's new

MC-1, SVS, and Servo-15 (1 Viewer)

I'd like some opinions on integrating a SVS Ultra with a current system consisting of an MC-1, Servo-15, and Paradigm Reference speakers. The room I currently have is approx 16 feet wide by 25 feet long...it is open on the back end, which limits me to 2 corners in which to place my Servo-15. The bass I get is pretty good, but I would like to have more. I know I can use a "y" cable off them MC-1 to feed the SVS- but my question is- would I be better off using 2 small SVS subs, and setting them as side subs- or better off using the big Ultra to even out and intensify the bass? I also have an older Carver amp that will push around 350 watts when bridged..that may not be enough to supply the Ultra with the juice it needs to keep up with the rest of the system. I'm using Parasound amps-the 2205 and 1500, BTW.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big fan of adding BE subs(side subs)until the main woofage can play compression free up to the volume levels you'll be reaching.
With 3200 cu-ft open to another largish(?)area...a single servo15 is going to be heavily over burdened if you run past *moderate* volume levels(say much louder than 12-15dB under reference). I'd suggest going with the single CS_U/S1000 package...with the possibility of adding a second CS_U down the road.The need for this will be determined by the full amount of room area to fill...and the maximum volume levels you want the system to be capable of. If you have a total of say 4000(or more) cu-ft,and want to be able to reach reference levels without straining...you might need a dual CS_U/S1000 system. Once the main woofage can reach the SPLs you desire without compression...then I'd consider looking into a pair of smaller BE subwoofers.
Adding a single CS_U to the servo15 should give you (roughly) a 7-9dB increase in headroom(assuming both are in the same corner). Adding a dual CS_U system to the servo15 will yield perhaps a 9-12dB headroom gain.
TV

Thanks for the reply TV....my room is open to a huge walk-in hallway, but the area per say is the "HT Room"..and you are right..the Servo sounds good and deep to around -10db on the MC-1's volume control..then the bass is there, but is not an "impacting" bass..not as deep as I'd like. I think its more a placement issue vs the Servo-15 being not enough.
So- you are thinking I need the Samson amp to adequately power the Ultra? Also- is it going to be a problem only having the opposite corner to put the SVS in? The Servo literally occupies the RH corner of the room.
Also- will I be able to use the MC-1's built in crossover?

Mario_C

Stunt Coordinator
>>>I'm not a big fan of adding BE subs(side subs)until the main woofage can play compression free up to the volume levels you'll be reaching.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Danny, my room is 16x27' and I have a Servo15a. The room also opens up in to a dining room.I was losing impact on the one side that opened into the dining room. I added a 20-39cs powered by 1 channel on a Parasound 2205at and this solved my problem for impacting bass on that side of the room.I use a Ref 30 and used the Y in my room the Servo sounds best splitting the middle of the back wall then I put the SVS in the other corner.I am very impressed with the 20-39cs. As you know the Servo is a great sub but in that large area it could use some assistance.BTW the 20-39 has not bottomed out and keeps pace with the Servo at reference levels.Have fun with your new toy. There is nothing like seeing that huge box arrive.My neigbors wondered why I ordered a water heater.
------------------

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Thanks for the reply TV....my room is open to a huge walk-in hallway, but the area per say is the "HT Room"..and you are right..the Servo sounds good and deep to around -10db on the MC-1's volume control..then the bass is there, but is not an "impacting" bass..not as deep as I'd like. I think its more a placement issue vs the Servo-15 being not enough.>> Also- is it going to be a problem only having the opposite corner to put the SVS in? The Servo literally occupies the RH corner of the room.>Also- will I be able to use the MC-1's built in crossover?

Tom-
>>>>>>Maybe, but a single servo15 is going to be hard pressed to reach full reference levels in anything >2000 cu-ft regardless. Also, I'm assuming "-10dB" on the MC-1 corresponds with 10dB under reference levels? Btw--how do you calibrate your sub...2-3dB over on the RS meter like most of us?>>>>>>>>>>>
Hmmm...thats interesting. And yes, the -10db refers to 10db's under reference (ref being 00 on the MC-1's volume control). I calibrate the speakers with a Rat Shack meter and try for 1-2 dbs over for the sub. I do get a very nice amount of "subsonic" bass up to roughly -12 or so DBs under reference..then its not as noticeable. Don't get me wrong..the Servo is incredible..I am not in any way dissatisfied with its performance..I would just like some more feel it your bones bass for movies.
I may need to look up the specs on the Carver amp...but I'm almost certain it will push the 350 bridged.
There is no way to put the SVS in the same corner...the fiance' would have a fit, plus...2 behomoths in the same corner might scare the bejesus outta everyone who walks into the room. Do you think that is going to be a major problem, given the idea of what I want to do?
Also..what kind of response will I get from the Ultra?? I have seen tests on the Servo that put its lower limits at anywhere from 18-20 hz..Paradigm lists it to 16 hz...but the closest I've seen it was in a test about 2 years ago where they got like 17.25 hz. Of course..this wasn't ref levels..but thats still pretty killer bass.
[Edited last by Danny Bonnell on September 06, 2001 at 10:21 AM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Hmmm...thats interesting. And yes, the -10db refers to 10db's under reference (ref being 00 on the MC-1's volume control).>I calibrate the speakers with a Rat Shack meter and try for 1-2 dbs over for the sub.> I do get a very nice amount of "subsonic" bass up to roughly -12 or so DBs under reference..then its not as noticeable. Don't get me wrong..the Servo is incredible..I am not in any way dissatisfied with its performance..I would just like some more feel it your bones bass for movies.>I may need to look up the specs on the Carver amp...but I'm almost certain it will push the 350 bridged.
There is no way to put the SVS in the same corner...the fiance' would have a fit, plus...2 behomoths in the same corner might scare the bejesus outta everyone who walks into the room. Do you think that is going to be a major problem, given the idea of what I want to do?>Also..what kind of response will I get from the Ultra?? I have seen tests on the Servo that put its lower limits at anywhere from 18-20 hz..Paradigm lists it to 16 hz...but the closest I've seen it was in a test about 2 years ago where they got like 17.25 hz. Of course..this wasn't ref levels..but thats still pretty killer bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks