MB Quart

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JasonIs, Jul 5, 2003.

1. JasonIs

JasonIs Agent

I listened to the MB Quart S1030 and S830 the other day and they both sounded really good to me. Yawaonline is offering very good deals on these speakers, 50% off the MSRP. Anyone know why? Is the line outdated are something wrong. Its very hard to find reviews on these speakers. But the dealer that had them also had the polk lsi line. I thought the MB Quarts s830 sounded better than the polk lsi15. Any thoughts on the MB Quarts would be appreciated. I mainly want them for music.

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

These were formerly MBQ's top of the line. The new top is the "Vera" series. Yawa was able to secure a great deal on them by clearancing out the manufacturer's remaining stock (quite a bit of merch) and thus can offer these at a really great price. To be honest, no one pays MSRP, and I wouldn't pay $2K for these. But you used to be able to get them for about $1500 and at that price I think they're worth it. At $1150, they are a steal! (I'm talking about the 1030s here)

I own the 1030s (upgraded from my Energy C6s which are now in the bedroom) and the 330 matching center and love, love, love them!

Furthermore, I had three friends over last week for the speaker shootout and all chose the MBQs over the C6s (one is buying a pair of 1030s in the next week or two) after critically A/B'ing them for 2 1/2 hours.

I'm working on a write-up of the shootout as we speak (hope to have it up by Sunday or Monday) and I can't recommend the 1030s enough, especially at that price. I too listen to mainly music, about 65%/35% which is why I went with the 1030s. If HT were my primary consideration I could have gone with the bookshelfs. I think the secret to their great sound is the 1" titanium tweeter. I read an article somewhere that other manufacturers OEM that tweeter from them (but can't remember which ones they were, the article may not have stated specifically).

3. Carlo Medina

PS - I go to Yawa since they are just a 40 mile drive from me. Great people, totally helpful and non-pressure-sales type of guys. And they are totally committed to customer satisfaction. They started out as my local dealer, but now I can call them my friends. Often I visit and don't buy anything (who can afford to buy all the time these days???) and they always treat me first-class when I stop by, even when the checkbook and plastic stay at home. If you are interested in buying MBQ, I can't recommend Yawa enough.

I have listened to the 830s and they sound as good as the 1030s. The only reason I went 1030 is that I have a high couch, and the 1030s put the tweeters more at my listening level than the 830s, which are a few inches shorter. Also at the price difference, I couldn't resist. But if you went with the 830s I don't think you'll be disappointed. Hell the 530 bookshelf speakers sounded great, but I just wanted the extra bass that the additional woofers give you (again because I listen to music more).

4. JasonIs

JasonIs Agent

This line of speakers started in 1999 so they are pretty old technology. Also I heard that Fosgate bought MB Quart and now that they are owned by Fosgate the quality of the speakers is gone? I don't know the validity to that? The speakers did sound good to me plus yawa is offering a 30 day money back. I am also thinking of waiting for the new Energy Veritas line coming out end of the month, but they will be a lot more money.

5. Carlo Medina

My opinion is that speaker technology moves considerably slower than other technologies, like receivers, DVD players, etc. My C6s were a few years old when I got them in 1998 (they debuted in the early or mid-90's I believe) and I preferred them to just about anything I'd heard in the price range up until these MB Quarts (which Yawa didn't start carrying until this year). I'd take these 1030s over anything I've heard in their price range (and did, in fact).

Good speakers age gracefully. In fact, my C6s were very well reviewed and the followup Connoisseur line, for whatever reasons, do not create the same stir that the original C line did. I like the top-o-the-line Veritas speakers, but I wouldn't trade my C6s for any of the current C line.

YMMV.

6. JasonIs

JasonIs Agent

I did like the MB Quarts s830 and s1030 when I auditioned them, and I am considering buying them, but I also like the veritas v2.3 and v2.4 along with the monitor audio gold 60, but since they are at different stores it is difficult to tell wich of them I like more. I know price is a big differance, $1100 for s1030, $2500 for v2.3, $3300 for monitor audios gold 60. But I am trying to decide wich I like more.

7. Carlo Medina

With Yawa's 30 day policy, will the other store let you have a similar return policy? It's been my experience that the only way to really tell is to have them in your home, with your setup, and your materials. Of course being out $3600 is kind of a lot of cash, so this may not be possible...

I have to admit, when I first got my 1030s home, they weren't as impressive as I remembered in their showroom. There, they were driven by a nice NAD amp, at home, I had a Sony STR-DA555ES (4 years old). Since I was in the market for a new receiver, I bought the NAD T762 from them. When I hooked it up at home, the speakers came alive like they did in the showroom. That made both the speakers and the amp a "keeper" for me.

BTW, when I did the shootout, I did use the same T762 for both the C6 and 1030s (using the A/B switch, and level matched). So even though the NAD did make a big difference, I did still prefer the MBQs to my old C6s.

Now I'm thinking of getting a nice NAD stereo receiver for the BR for my C6s (have a friend who's interested in the 555ES for real cheap).

Good luck!

8. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

I ordered the bookshelves yesterday. I will get them this week and let you know first impressions, and then after break-in. I considered the Veritas 2.2 line, but I have read numerous complaints about drivers freezing. Those that have them and haven't had the problem, blame it on improper break-in, but evidently there must be alot of people breaking them in incorrectly. The finish work on the MB Quarts looks fabulous in the pictures,I can't wait to get my hands on them. Also have considered Spendor. The new S3/5Se bookshelf is reviewed highly but the low end response is about 90hz. Imagine that for $1500 a pair. At least MB Quart makes there own drivers and can control every aspect of the speaker building process. We will see.........
    andy

9. Carlo Medina

Andy I look forward to your impressions. I love my 1030s but MB Quart being a relatively new player in HT (known primarily for car audio where they are very respected) not a whole lot of people own them. Those of us that do, though, seem to love them.

Actually reminds me of the relationship I had with Energy last decade, before their new lines and before their mass-market distribution agreements. Not many had heard of them but those of us who did loved them.

10. Jass G

Jass G Auditioning

you know what

YAWA does not have the lowest "visible" price.

audio drect has the so called "best" deal. Their everyday price is only $999.00

and Shipping is only $6.50

How great is that. Well, just before you clik on the "confirm order" button, you need to wipe your eyeballs and look at the screen.

Then you will see that really small little word "EACH "

Well, just to tell you guys that i actually was just a click away from buying ONE PIECE of MB QUART for 1 grant.

Best,

JASS

11. Carlo Medina

Jass, is audio direct an authorized dealer? Some companies won't honor their warranties from unauthorized dealers (and again, I don't know if audio direct is or isn't).

And of course, to some people this isn't an important consideration. Personally, I think of the warranty as a CYA, I hope to never need it, but if I ever do, I'm glad to know it's there.

[EDIT]Oops! Didn't read carefully the part about "each" - ha ha ha, yeah I was wondering how they were selling it so low! [​IMG]

12. Jass G

Jass G Auditioning

Of coz, that website was so tricky.

When you first see it, it didn't mention anything about "each" or "pair".

However, if you order, then continue, the word "each" will show up. Then if you click on back back back, the word "each" also show on the original product page. What a trick!! So STAY AWAY FROM that Scam i guess

YAWA has them for cheap simply bcoz they store tons, literally, of MBQ's.

I believe YAWA will move to a new location pretty soon with a bigger warehouse. So hopefully they will store more MBQ's.

Carlo, i will be waiting for more of your extensive reviews on speakers!!!

Andy:

I am waiting for your review on the bookshelfs while still trying to find the best deal in the world.

Also, can you tell me what kinda receiver i should buy for those speakers? I do have a 7 years old onkyo receiver at home not school, thats from my parents. I don't think that will even fit in my apartment's bookshelf.

Thanks in advice

13. JasonIs

JasonIs Agent

I am wondering why yawa is buying tons of MB Quart speakers and selling them cheap? The line they are buying is from 1999. It seems to me they are trying to dump them for some reason. Maybe becuase Rockford Fosgate bought MB Quart they are dumping the speakers for some reason. I listened to the 830 and i like them so I am still debating a purchase.

14. Carlo Medina

From what I understand, it is because MB Quart are going with the new Vera line as the top-of-the-line. Yawa got a great deal w/ MBQ by clearing out their warehouse of the remaining inventory of the "S" series. This was a conscious business decision by Yawa (I talked to the manager), based on the great break in price they could get, and the quality of these speakers. Yawa wouldn't have taken the risk of buying all the remaining inventory if they didn't believe in the sound of the speakers. And I can say this: 1999 or whatever, I compare these favorably to any current model I have heard in the price range.

I don't know what the general consensus is, but I find speaker technology to move very slowly - not at all like the "new receiver every year" mentality. My Energy C6s (bought in 1998, but actually the line was from the early/mid-90s) compared favorable with most things I had heard from PSB, NHT and Atlantic Tech (brands Yawa carry and I listened to on my visits there), and that includes their product lines up to last year (in a similar price range, of course).

Yawa did buy these speakers at a discount and are able to offer them at prices which were near what dealer cost used to be. They aren't "dumping" they are trying to sell the speakers they believed in enough to plop down some major cash in order to secure their great price from the manufacturer. They saw it as a win-win situation: they could get a break on the price of some great sounding speakers, and transfer that savings over to the consumer. In fact they insisted on getting some speakers from MBQ first and had a group-listen (store employees, friends and industry people) before deciding to pull the trigger. They had to believe in the product first, otherwise it would have been a waste of their money. An interesting note, MBQ offers a "C" series too (HT-geared) and from what I understand they don't sound as good as the "S" series (too forward/bright) and Yawa doesn't carry that line.

If you can, listen to these speakers and let your ears decide. When I first heard them in-store, I knew nothing about the brand, nothing about how old they were, nada. Except that the music I was so familiar with sounded so good, so rich, and out of some bookshelf models! I had to try the big brother, and boy did I ever fall in love.

MB Quart isn't the best speaker out there. You can get into the high-rent district and get better speakers. But for the price they are being offered, I couldn't pass it up.

Being a 1999 line should not be a detractor - I bought my C6s only after they had been proven as a great performer for the price, and obtaining that reputation often takes time.

15. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

So how do the MB Quart 830 and 1030 stack up against the Axiom M-60 and M-80? I read that Axioms are so good they compare to speakers costing much more. Are they even in the same league sonically with the MB Quart floorstanders?

16. Carlo Medina

Haven't had a chance to even hear the Axioms. I'll ask someone at the L.A. HTF Meet that I just got back from (will ask at tomorrow's event) if anyone's got a pair that we can compare with the 1030s.