Mazda 3 - pros & cons

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Clinton McClure, May 4, 2005.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    My wife just bought a 2005 Madza 3. Has anyone had any experience with this line? Any pros & cons you can think of?

2. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Actually, many auto reviewers love the Mazda3, mostly because it offers pretty good performance along with very good handling. This is what the current Ford Focus should have been (Ford of Europe last year introduced a new version of the Focus based on the same platform as the Mazda3).

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

No matter what anyone says Mazdas are a blast to drive. With its size and handling it may be the perfect car for your wife.

Our 1990 Miata is still going strong.

4. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Once my fiance graduates from college and gets a job we're buying a Mazda3. We absolutely love'em!!

I've heard nothing but rave reviews. Consumer Reports loved'em also!

5. ChipFiev

ChipFiev Extra

I have a 2004 Mazda3 5-door. It's been a great car in the year that I've had it. The car has been mechanically perfect and has also been a blast to drive. For such a small car, this thing can hold a tremendous amount with the seats down. I bought this car for commuting, as I drive 50+ miles a day in city traffic, and I'm averaging about 26 mpg without driving like a grandma.

I honestly can't think of any real cons right now...for the price I paid I'm totally happy with my choice.

Check out mazda3forums dot com (I can't post URLs because I don't post enough) for way more information about the car and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Good feedback. [​IMG] Hers is an i-series 4 door. We took it out this morning and it's a little go-getter!

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The only "con" I can think of is lack of power. This may not be an issue for some though. I looked at a fully loaded 5 door and the RSX Acura was the same money with alot more get up and go. Gas Mileage was roughly the same.

They should fix this minor complaint with a Mazdaspeed version [​IMG]

8. ChipFiev

ChipFiev Extra

Compared to other cars in its class, I never thought the 3 had a lack of power. Most other cars in the class have less (Civic, Corolla, Cavalier/Cobalt, Focus, Elantra, etc.). When you start cross-shopping with sportier cars, it is true that the 3 could use more power, but I wouldn't say the RSX was really the targeted competition for the 3.

In everyday driving, I've never had a real problem with the acceleration of my 3. I won't win every stoplight race but I get moving as fast as I need to and never have had a problem passing or merging on the highway.

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Chip,
    You are probably correct. I suspect the Mazdaspeed version whenever it comes will solve these minor issues. Hopefully they won't price it completely out of the market and also try to make it AWD like they did with the Mazdaspeed 6 which has gotten drummed by the reviewers.

10. ChipFiev

ChipFiev Extra

The Mazdzaspeed 3 should be very interesting...

What I couldn't do with another 100 hp... [​IMG]

11. eekrat

eekrat Extra

I have owned a 3s for almost a year now and have two minor complaints. The air conditioner is a little underpowered if you live where the temp gets over 80 degrees and the rear brakes generate a lot of dust which accumulates on the rims. Other than that it has been a fun and reliable car with better bang for the buck than similarly priced cars.

12. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

By the way, keep and eye out for the new 8th-generation Honda Civic due in early October 2005. I've heard the EX model sedan and two-door coupé will sport a new 155-160 bhp engine that is more fuel-efficient than the current engines used on the Civic and will offer very good handling. [​IMG]

13. ChipFiev

ChipFiev Extra

I do know what you mean about the rear brake dust. My car used to do that but the rear brake dust really tapered off at about 12K miles (I'm at 17.5K now). My A/C is actually better than my last car (2000 Eclipse GT) so you won't hear me complaining about that. [​IMG] Of course, I haven't had a really good A/C since my 1991 Ford Taurus in college...that thing could almost freeze beer.

14. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

We love our 2002 Mazda Tribute, and we will very likely get a Mazda(speed?) 3 or 6 when time comes to replace my wife's car.

I hope that Mazda puts out a hybrid Tribute in the next couple of years... I would love to check that out.

15. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've owned a Mazda 3S 4 door sedan with 5 speed manual and sport package since July of last year (an 04 model). It's ac copes with the Fresno heat adequately for me, certainly better than that of the '01 Sentra SE I had previously if not up to the ability of some GM midsize car's units.

I don't have many miles racked up yet, but the car has performed flawlessly from day 1 and is a blast to drive. Very much more refined than anything else in the compact sedan class (Corolla, Sentra, current Civic) both as to driving characteristics and interior appointments.

I especially appreciate the flexibility and extreme smoothness of the 2.3 liter balance shaft engine, pulls fine from lower rpm and unlike the Honda built screamers or the Corolla XSE you don't have to keep it at stratospheric rpm to get any power out of it. That being said it's so serene at high rpm that it just never gets thrashy--you can hold 3rd gear right up to 70-75 mph when freeway merging and it never complains.

I've worked in the service dept. of a large Toyota dealer for over 30 years and having seen the quality of assembly and studied this little car's non-shiny bits find it to be a notch or two above most of the competition as far as engineering sophistication as well.

This basic platform is also used in the Volvo S-40 sedan and V-50 wagon.

I think of it as a poor man's BMW 3 series, being about as close as you're gonna get for under $20k.