Maynard Ferguson: 1928-2006 (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Famed jazz trumpeter Maynard Ferguson passed away Wednesday:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060824/.../obit_ferguson

Early in his career Ferguson was an important part of Stan Kenton's big band, and went on to front many ensembles of his own. He was best known for his soaring high notes, and inspired countless young players.

I played trumpet in my high school band in the mid-70s, and I can say that Ferguson was a god to all of us in the section. I was lucky enough to see him in concert several times during the 80s and he & his band always put on a thrilling show.

To quote his manager:
R.I.P., Maynard

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sad to hear this. Maynard was quite the player and has always had an amazing band. He also has always supported music education in schools. I just saw him play a show a few months ago. Little did I know it would one of his last. It was a tremendous show and at the end he invited the local hi school jazz band up on stage to play a number with him.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I saw him play at my high school, and he was amazing. I have four of his CDs in my collection. Maynard will definitely be missed.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Our HS band teacher was a semi-pro/session jazz trumpeter who had played with Maynard and arranged for Maynard to play a concert at our HS.
Fond memories. He will be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks