1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mayberry RFD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by John*Wells, Jan 21, 2019.

1. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k Agent

Chad
    Thank you for posting this! I've always been a huge Mayberry R.F.D fan (and back in the late 1990's even ran a website dedicated to it). I hate to drop so much $$ on a set that is mostly duplication of the Complete Series sets, but those 9 additional episodes will be great to see in their complete form. Unfortunately getting ahold of a copy of the TNT airings of Mayberry R.F.D has eluded me for years.

I've got several versions of the series on DVD, but all have issues. Back many moons ago when TV Land ran the entire series as a marathon I recorded it all. The problem was we had (very fuzzy) analog cable at the time, and only one stereo VCR. So half my tapes were in mono, and half in stereo, and none looked wonderful. I did convert these over to DVD though and watched them for years despite their poor quality. A few years back I managed to locate a set recorded off MeTV (in markets where the rights to Andy Griffith are held by another local station they aired RFD in its place). This set wasn't much better though because MeTV is overly compressed in many markets, and the original recorder copied the discs for the person I got them from by playing the DVD-Rs into a DVD Recorder with a DVD player and re-recorded the episodes like one was copying an old VHS tape back in the date :-(.

About a year or two ago the Decades channel ran a marathon of all the episodes too. Fortunately I was able to track down someone who had access to a C-BAND satellite and they captured the actual Decades feed of the marathon for me. These copies look about as good as we're going to get outside of a normal DVD release, but I'm still trying to go through and edit all of them because they were recorded in long 6-8 hour chunks. The other downside is they are edited of course.

Now having these 9 episodes from Time Life that just leaves 43 episodes to pull from the Decades airings. I would really LOVE to be able to complete these episodes though if I could get my hands on copies of the TNT airings of the 43 episodes that still don't have official releases. The TNT segments wouldn't look as good as the rest of the recordings, but I could use that footage with the Decades airings to make each one as complete as possible.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  2. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    I'm still SLOWLY making my way thru the Season 1 DVD set and haven't noticed any problem with the audio being too low.

3. timk1041

timk1041 Agent

Timothy
    Do you have the copy that originally was released or the reissue of Season 1? If you have the reissued one, the audio levels might have been adjusted.

4. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    I honestly don't recall. The only DVD set I've ever had low audio issues with is the animated Addams Family.

5. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    I have the original WB pressed DVD set from 2014 and haven't noticed any audio issues, low or otherwise.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  6. timk1041

timk1041 Agent

Timothy

7. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    I find it interesting that Season One, and only Season One, is available for sale on Amazon. Most of Amazon's other digital series have all seasons available.

Maybe with these new Mayberry episodes coming out on this Time Life "5 easy payments" gimmick thing, they went ahead and cleaned up Seasons 2 and 3. Perhaps those seasons will make their way to Amazon digital purchases - but would still rather have them on disc.

8. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I have the original DVD set and do not have any issues with the audio