1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mayberry RFD update. Potential good news

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by John*Wells, Feb 28, 2018.

1. John*Wells

John*Wells Second Unit

John
    I received an e mail stating shipping was delayed because the item demand was high. I hope that means we will see release of seasons 2 and 3

2. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Dear CBS: Take note of this. Rural comedies are still in demand!

3. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    I hope this leads to more releases for this show. We are only missing two seasons of the Mayberry saga now. We thankfully have a complete Green Acres. Let's see if sales are there to nudge the other stalled shows back into activity.
    [​IMG]

4. John*Wells

John*Wells Second Unit

John
    Darrin,

I agree completely. Maybe if we get out and Lead a Mayberry march, we'll get our wish :)

Jeff Flugel and Ron1973 like this.
  5. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I just talked to someone at WB. They said the orders should start shipping tomorrow. I asked them if the amount of pre-orders might warrant season 2. They said they couldn't say for sure but it looked "hopeful."

6. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I have the first season that was released into stores . I'm hoping the other seasons are released by the archive .

Jeff Flugel and Blimpoy06 like this.
  7. tlc38tlc38

tlc38tlc38 Stunt Coordinator

Trent
    I bought season 1 when it was originally released.

I recorded seasons 2 & 3 from MeTV airings but would but official releases in a heartbeat.

8. phenri

phenri Second Unit

Paul
    I also bought this when it was originally released almost four years ago. I've been patiently waiting for the last two seasons ever since.

Jeff Flugel and Mr. Handley like this.
  9. Ron1973

Forgive my ignorance, and this might have been explained before, but how did The Andy Griffith Show end up with CBS while its spin-off wound up with Warner? Every other spin-off I can think of stayed with the same company such as Alice and Flo, The Dukes of Hazzard and Enos, etc.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  10. Message #10 of 28 Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    The production company switched to filming on the Warner Brothers' back lot when the Paramount deal was not renewed. Same with Here's Lucy; she got a better deal at Universal. Bonanza also left Paramount around this same time for WB.

11. Ron1973

I appreciate it! I knew there had to be some reasoning behind it, but I don't think I've ever saw the explanation until now.

12. Message #12 of 28 Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Green Acres is another. It's with MGM today where as The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction are still with CBS where they originally aired.

I assume the production company, Filmways, was the owner of this one. And they got bought out by Orion Pictures back in the early 1990's, with Orion then being bought by MGM later in the decade.

Edit: Come to think of it, I think I even remember the Orion logo tacked on to the end of Green Acres in syndication.

13. Message #13 of 28 Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    My first season set of Mayberry RFD just arrived. The bad news is, my set isn't pressed (hopefully those who preordered earlier than me might get pressed discs, but somehow I doubt it). The good news is, the quality of the episodes I checked is very good, 9/10 video I would say. But the menus are sad. I realize they didn't have the funds to get the rights to use a still image from the show for the menu, but sheesh, I would have done the menus for them for free. I'd have gone out, taken a picture of some farmland reminiscent of Sam's place, a nondescript image, and at least done something respectable.

All tolled, $47 for burned DVDs is a lot to ask. I paid pre-order prices in the hopes we will see season 2 and 3. So here's hoping.

Edit: My previous copies of this were off TV and didn't have the tags, so I never knew what happened on Andy's honeymoon. That was fun to see. :)

14. sjbradford

sjbradford Agent

sjbradford
    Remember that the studio renting space to the production didn’t necessarily have an ownership stake in the show. Desilu, for example, rented space to scores of productions in the 1960s, but did not have a financial interest in them.

CBS was a part owner of “The Andy Griffith Show”, which is why reruns were owned by Viacom, originally spun off from CBS due to finsyn rules. When Griffith and his production partners agreed to do the spinoff, they had more leverage and CBS no longer had the same ownership interest. So they were free to use another syndicator.

Same thing happened with Green Acres. BH and PJ were co-produced by CBS and Filmways. CBS controlled the reruns. But for the third entry in the series, CBS wasn’t able to insist on co-ownership. So Filmways was the primary producer, and its corporate successor, MGM, controls the series.

15. John*Wells

John*Wells Second Unit

John
    By Pressed, I assume you mean the discs would be labeled, Right? I haven't gotten mine yet.

16. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    No, they all generally have labels on them.

What he means by pressed is that they're professionally replicated, like every DVD you can buy in stores, not manufactured on demand discs that are burned onto DVD-Rs.

The way to tell difference between them will be the color of the bottom of the disc. Silver or gold means professionally pressed, purple means burned MoD.

Generally, WB does a limited run of pressed discs for their TV sets. But, they may not have this time, since Mayberry RFD has already been released, and I'm guessing Carab was curious as to whether people who pre-ordered even earlier than he got pressed sets, or if everyone got MoDs.

Honestly, the pressed vs. MoD thing isn't really something you should be worrying about. Yes, we who know do prefer pressed discs since they have a longer history of reliability. But OTOH, some of the oldest MoD sets are nearing the decade mark with no problems reported among our little community, and pressed discs can fail too, so...

17. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Supporting Actor

James Beer
    I remember when Mayberry RFD was distributed by Metromedia for syndication. Years later, Telepictures, later a part of WB, took over the syndication rights.

18. John*Wells

John*Wells Second Unit

John
    I finally got my set today. Im watching it now. So far so good but No extras? Cast interviews, commentary Etc ?

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  19. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    No extras. The Andy Griffith Show is lacking any retrospective extras too. They had some in character sponsor spots for the first three seasons. That's about it.
    [​IMG]

Jeff Flugel and Tony Bensley like this.
  20. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Recent firsthand experience with one of the 2006-09 pressed Warner DVDs has altered my perspective regarding the pressed DVDs vs DVD-R debate. I hope to get at least the first season once we get settled in the London Ontario area, hopefully no later than this October!

CHEERS! :)

Randy Korstick and Jeff Flugel like this.