Maybe we'll see the Original SW Trilogy on DVD before 2006 after all.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy_L, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Billy_L

Billy_L Auditioning

I've been reading that Spy Report on the Force.net that claims that there will be a Definitive DVD set of the Entire Star Wars Saga that is supposely going to be released in 2006 or beyond. The most interesting quote from that article is that we may see DVD versions of the films before this Final set is released. I hope so because I'm sure me and many other Star Wars Fans can't wait until 2006 or beyond to see Episodes 4,5,6 on DVD.

2. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

My prediction? The first stunning titles on HD-DVD will be the Star Wars Set.
    The REAL package will be on HD-DVD.
    The average package will be on regular DVD medium.

3. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Gee, George Lucas would never release, and re-release, and re-release the only product he has every made! He has more class than that!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

4. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

Well, I hope at least one of those releases will be the non-CGI-SE that he seems so fond of. Without the additional scenes the rumur mill has him shooting so that Eps 4-6 will "blend" more in in the timeline. Or even a seamless branching so I & the rest of the nostalgia freaks can watch the "original version."

5. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

OKay, rumours I've heard and dreams I have, listed below in no particular order:
    I've heard rumours that George will be updating the special editions when Episode 3 is released, replacing the iffy CG effects of '97 with the very latest. This means we could expect to see a different CG Jabba, one that looks a million times better than the one in the SE's out now. This I don't have a problem with, replacing the mediocre CG with really nice CG can only help the SE's, and they need it. I've heard the rumours of extra scenes, but I'm praying those don't come to pass, he's done enough to the Trillogy already. I would like to see George reverse some of his "corrections" though, the greedo scene for instance, the scream when luke Falls at bespin, the beak in the sarlac pit.
    Here's what I'd like to see out of an ultimate dvd set.
    Each movie should be at least 2 discs. Each should have a commentary track, if not several. The original trillogy I would like to see with a seemless branching option, allowing for the original theatrical cut and the Special Edition. I would like to see George use this technology to allow the viewer to create their own edits of the film, cutting in the Special Edition material they like, removing that which they don't. Not only would this be an innovative feature and lots of fun for the fans, but it would allow fans who didn't agree with all of Lucas's changes to enjoy the special editions without having to endure the bits they don't like. Seeing as Lucas wants to be innovative and use dvd to it's full potential, I think this feature would be an excellent addition to the set.
    On the supplemental discs I want to see the original "making of" specials, documentaries, trailers and commercials, interviews, storyboards and scripts, cut scenes, screen tests, perhaps some of the parodies we've seen on TV (SNL's hillarious Star Wars screen tests would be great) Toy commercials, picture galleries, stuff like that. I hope that when the ultimate editions are released that John Williams will have corrected the score on Episode I, as it's current form is choppy, and Williams himself has disowned the current score as it appears in the film (re-edits came to close to the wire and there wasnt time for a final adjustment of the score). An isolated audio track for the scores would be great.
    Perhaps a final disc could be included, for all the stuff that won't fit on the supplemental discs for the films. A historical disc as it were, carrying stuff that is just Star Wars, belonging to no particular film, like the holliday special, some clips from the muppet show. Know what would be really cool? including the Star Wars Radio Drama's. I don't know much about Audio DVD's, but I would imagine you could fit all of the radio dramas on to one disc depending, I personally have them all on one disc in MP3 format. Anyways, wishfull thinking now, but it would be cool.
    ------------------
    Geoff
    Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!
    [Edited last by Geoffrey_A on August 22, 2001 at 12:01 AM]

6. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

The Hope and/or expectation is for a 25th Anniversary CE of EP.4 next year.
    This would not be the Definitive Edition Release, but would be a nice "bridge release" to help "hold us over" until the Definitive Editions hit in 2006 or 2007. (In fact, most current rumors seem to point to a least one Star Wars Release a year to DVD for the forseeable future.)
    As far as HD-DVD goes ... I doubt that there would be enough penetration of that format into the marketplace to warrant any Star Wars releases until close to the end of the decade.
    Joseph
    [Edited last by Joseph Bolus on August 22, 2001 at 12:58 AM]

7. Mark Ward

Mark Ward Extra

Star Wars on DVD before 2006?
    I can imagine we'll be reading these rumour discussions for the next 5 years?
    If it is... We'll buy it.
    If it's not.... We won't
    Nothing more to be said really.
    Mark Ward.
    [Edited last by Mark Ward on August 22, 2001 at 01:43 AM]

8. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Will we EVER see the original 'Star Wars' again [​IMG]

9. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Well, if there is a version of Episode 4 released next year to "hold us over", then that would probably end speculation about Star Wars once and for all. Right now, we're just not sure whether The Phantom Menace is an isolated instance or not. I think that's why there is still still discussion about this.
    I personally would like to have the original trilogy before 2006. Getting them one per year is fine with me. It's Indiana Jones that I want as a trilogy all at once. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Dan

10. Ben_J_L

Ben_J_L Stunt Coordinator

Well quite honestly, I would be extremely suprised if we don't see a release of some sort next year to coincide with the 25th anniversary, - even if its only the first film.
    I'd be very suprised if Lucas overlooked this opportunity, of course this is purly my opinion and has no facts to back it up, just common sense.