Maybe MD is not dead in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Burzynski, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Meant to tell you guys this last week. While driving home from work I heard an interesting commercial on the radio. It was pushing Sony's new "MiniDisc walkman/recorder". I'm sure the ad mentioned minidisc at least 3-4 times. Found it to be interesting.

Rich B.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sony must be pushing the Web MD. MD is a great format for portablizing music, and with all the MP3 hoopla, MD makes a hell of lot more sense in many ways than dedicated MP3 players. Actually I read an article recently that said that MD is making gains as a portable MP3 format.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Sony is clearly pushing minidisc as a portable format these days. Portable players are easier to find that home decks. I am concerned about minidisc's future as a home playback format.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I would think that the future of portable audio is solid state memory (Flash). Getting cheaper all the time, and no issues with mechanical transports, "skipping", etc.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, if flash memory becomes cheap enough, then I think it will be the way to do portable audio. However, skipping isn't much of an issue with minidiscs.

6. Michael St. Clair

I think NetMD is still encoded as ATRAC, but the software that lets you copy music to NetMD recorders (at up to 32X) will accept MP3. However, I'm pretty sure it just dynamically decodes the MP3 to PCM to ATRAC.

I think I want one...I'm going to have to think about it for a few weeks. If I could get an affordable MDLP compatible head unit for my car, I'd move faster. Hopefully soon there are affordable MDLP head units for cars.

I have tested MDLP (up to 4 times the recording length per disc) on my home setup and can tell the difference...but in a car, I don't think I could tell the difference...cars are noisy.