Maybe I can relax now

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norman Short, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Norman Short

Norman Short Stunt Coordinator

I finally placed an order for an SVS 20-39CS+ using the group buy. This is after a 2 month odyssey where I learned more about subwoofers in general and about my options than I thought possible.

I hadn't given all that much thought to subwoofers earlier on. I started out with Klipsch La Scala mains, and looked to expand the system to 5.1. I bought Klipsch Reference center and surrounds and looked for a sub. At the time, the biggest, most expensive subwoofer they sold was the KSW-15, so I bought that. I was happy. You see, during the time I learned the most about audio subwoofers were still considered something people put in cars to annoy pedestrians.

Then I heard about SVS. I heard about flat frequency response 20Hz. I decided to buy one. But I decided to do some research first. So I learned about various other brands of subwoofers, and then dived into the wide world of DIY. Things turned into a mish-mash of cost/benefit analysis, difficulty of building techniques, frequency response, SPL output, sealed subs, ported subs, Q values, driver alignments, and a dozen other things I'm sure I'll remember later. I can safely say I didn't put this much thought into buying a car. I've probably read hundreds of posts, articles, journals, and reviews.

After all that time and effort, I ended up back where I started, with SVS. I decided that building a sub would probably get me more output per dollar, but the time and effort was more taxing than the difference in dollars. Besides, I kept envisioning building the monster sub and having it not sound like I'd want. I decided to trust the expertise of the guys at SVS to get me the bass I want for both music and movies. Besides, if I need more I have another half of a Sampson amp to handle it, and in the meantime I'll use it for my guitar at home.

Thanks to everyone for a ton of posts about SVS and DIY I've read here and elsewhere. Safe to say I know a lot more about bass and how to integrate it into a dual role music/HT system. Now I just have to wait to be amazed.

Norman Short

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Norman,

Thanks very much for the order. I don't think you will be sorry you went with SVS after all that research. Knowing your sub would cost 2-3 times what they do if you bought them in the traditional retail way.

Knowing the guys that build, ship and support them are the same ones here and answering mail will help some too.

Let us know how you like the sub and how it stacks up to what you've heard in the past.

Ron

3. Norman Short

Norman Short Stunt Coordinator

Ron, when it came to performance per dollar (at least trusting numbers and dozens of testamonials) SVS had the others beat hands down. The only other option I was considering was DIY after I looked at the various commercial brands and models. Having worked in audio/video retail in the past, I don't pay retail for much of anything. I'm also familiar with the level of customer service I would expect. You guys have them beat in that area easily as well.
    I plan to write a review on the sub for DVD Verdict as well. We have a lot of readers who would fit more into the film buff category than hard core HT people, so likely I can expose hundreds if not thousands more people to SVS. Maybe I could get a T-shirt [​IMG].
    FYI, not meaning to insult any of our readers who are also HT buffs and read this. We have a wide scope of readers, but I get a lot of mail from people not so well versed in HT but who really love movies and DVD.
    Norman Short

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Norman:
    Send them over here to find out more and ask their questions not only about the SV Subs but HT hardware in general. You know they can find the answers here.
    We promise to send them back when they are done! [​IMG]
    Parker