maybe getting a new DVD player; how's the Toshiba SD-6915?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Keith_R, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey there, I got bit by the upgrade bug and am looking at upgrading my aging Toshiba SD-2150 DVD player which has served me well for the past 4 years.

I don't need anything to fancy as my viewing is limited to a standard def 4:3 20 inch television but I would like to try to get a player with some of the newer formats supported. A multi-disc changer would be ideal for me since my current one is a 2 disc changer and I use that feature lots. DTS support is a must! I'd like the price to try and stay in the $200-$300 range.

Anyways, I stumbled across the Toshiba SD-6915 5 disc changer on sale at Bestbuy right now. Aside from being a multi-disc DVD player it also looks as though it supports both of the high rez audio formats (DVD-A and SACD) and some other formats. The best part is the price; Bestbuy is currently selling this player for $169 which considering all it does I consider to be a steal.

Does anyone have experience with this player? is it worthwhile to buy this? any other suggestions in my price range? thanks.

2. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey there, I got bit by the upgrade bug and am looking at upgrading my aging Toshiba SD-2150 DVD player which has served me well for the past 4 years.

I don't need anything to fancy as my viewing is limited to a standard def 4:3 20 inch television but I would like to try to get a player with some of the newer formats supported. A multi-disc changer would be ideal for me since my current one is a 2 disc changer and I use that feature lots. DTS support is a must! I'd like the price to try and stay in the $200-$300 range.

Anyways, I stumbled across the Toshiba SD-6915 5 disc changer on sale at Bestbuy right now. Aside from being a multi-disc DVD player it also looks as though it supports both of the high rez audio formats (DVD-A and SACD) and some other formats. The best part is the price; Bestbuy is currently selling this player for $169 which considering all it does I consider to be a steal.

Does anyone have experience with this player? is it worthwhile to buy this? any other suggestions in my price range? thanks.

3. Mike!S

Mike!S Stunt Coordinator

the word on the street is that its full of errors. I started a whole thread on it. do a quick search and you'll find it.

4. Mike!S

Mike!S Stunt Coordinator

the word on the street is that its full of errors. I started a whole thread on it. do a quick search and you'll find it.

5. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    oh, that's a shame. My current Toshiba has been a great reliable player ( x fingers crossed). I'll look for your thread. Any other suggestions for me to consider?

6. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    oh, that's a shame. My current Toshiba has been a great reliable player ( x fingers crossed). I'll look for your thread. Any other suggestions for me to consider?

7. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    If you can (or want to) stretch your budget a bit, Onkyo has the CP-802 6 disc universal changer. It retails for 499$ but I've seen it at J&R for 50$ less, and I believe it's even less elsewhere (I already have my universal player, so I didn't shop around for this). I believe it's built on the platform of their previous DVD changer (very solid), to which they added DVD-A/SACD, probably lifted from the SP-800, with better bass management than the SP-800. It seems like a better alternative than the seemingly problem-plagued Toshibas that have been recalled. There are other players coming on the horizon, some much closer to the Toshiba in price, but release dates vary. If you're not in a hurry, they might do you as well.

8. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    If you can (or want to) stretch your budget a bit, Onkyo has the CP-802 6 disc universal changer. It retails for 499$ but I've seen it at J&R for 50$ less, and I believe it's even less elsewhere (I already have my universal player, so I didn't shop around for this). I believe it's built on the platform of their previous DVD changer (very solid), to which they added DVD-A/SACD, probably lifted from the SP-800, with better bass management than the SP-800. It seems like a better alternative than the seemingly problem-plagued Toshibas that have been recalled. There are other players coming on the horizon, some much closer to the Toshiba in price, but release dates vary. If you're not in a hurry, they might do you as well.

9. Mike!S

Mike!S Stunt Coordinator

ive been looking at the Pioneer dv-578a, you'll see a giant topic on it on the front board. its similar just no 5-disc changer

10. Mike!S

Mike!S Stunt Coordinator

ive been looking at the Pioneer dv-578a, you'll see a giant topic on it on the front board. its similar just no 5-disc changer

11. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

I have a SD3950 in my bedroom. Great bedroom dvd player. I also hear that the SD4900 rocks and it has a region hack by remote. If you can live w/o the 5disk. I think the 4900 for under 80.00 is a awsome buy.

12. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

I have a SD3950 in my bedroom. Great bedroom dvd player. I also hear that the SD4900 rocks and it has a region hack by remote. If you can live w/o the 5disk. I think the 4900 for under 80.00 is a awsome buy.

13. Don Scott

Don Scott Stunt Coordinator

I have a Panasonic DVD-F85 5-disc changer. I've had it for about 14 months and haven't had a problem with it yet. It has lots of options and is in your price range.

If anyone knows of any problems with this machine let me know.

14. Don Scott

Don Scott Stunt Coordinator

I have a Panasonic DVD-F85 5-disc changer. I've had it for about 14 months and haven't had a problem with it yet. It has lots of options and is in your price range.

If anyone knows of any problems with this machine let me know.

15. Bob_Hitson

Bob_Hitson Agent

Bob
    I own an Onkyo DV-CP802, picked it up from OneCall for $449. I'm really pleased with it.

The audio is terrific, and the picture looks good too. Redbook CD, DVD-A and SACD all sound very good.

I can strongly recommend it!

16. Bob_Hitson

Bob_Hitson Agent

Bob
    I own an Onkyo DV-CP802, picked it up from OneCall for $449. I'm really pleased with it.

The audio is terrific, and the picture looks good too. Redbook CD, DVD-A and SACD all sound very good.

I can strongly recommend it!

17. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

I'm so against Toshiba players it's not funny.

The first 3 gens of Toshiba players (bought between 1997 to 2000) were all buggy and/or prematurely died. My Sony and Panasonic from 1997 still works like a charm (although they don't play CD-R and DVD-R).

Then last year I bought the Toshiba portable DVD player for my husband, and it stopped reading DVD-R after 3 weeks of usage. Replaced with another unit, same thing happened after 2 weeks of usage. Replaced it again, and completely died after 1 month. I got my money back.

4 months ago, I bought an entry-level Tosh DVD player. 3 months later, it can't read DVD-R reliably. Now (5 months later) I can only use it to play pressed DVD and in most cases can not access the special features.

Other DVD players such as Panasonic, Pioneer and Denon I have/had in my posession in the mean time are still working perfectly.

The funny thing is that none of the Toshibas I've ever own was used too frequently. No more than a couple of hours a week.