Maybe buying a Widescreen TV.. info needed..

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DeathStar1, Jan 3, 2005.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

2005 seems to be the year of house improvements for us. We just got new windows, we're planning on relandscaping the house(whoops, didn't notice that. I meant the yard ) [​IMG]....and best of all, my sister moved out to her own house, so now we have a spare room.

The 27" TV is now going up there, along with the familly computer and it's going to be turned into a small media room. However, this means we are now going to ge t a new TV for the familly room, and we're thinking about getting a widescreen.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the technical aspects about widescreens. Will just any do, or are there certain features y ou need to look out for? For instance, is it better to get a floor based model, or a wall hanging plasma?

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated [​IMG].

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

First things first - What is your budget?

Aproximately what size screen are you looking for (or what will be your viewing distance, eyeball to screen)?

Do you have total light control in the room, thus allowing for a front projector?

Do you play massive amounts of video games which would cause you to worry about screen burn in?

What are your viewing habits (%) TV/DVD's/Games?

What type of HD connection are you planning now or in the future (cable/satellite/OTA/None)?

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I would suggest re-landscaping the yard vs the house...but that's just me [​IMG]

If you ever have any intention of having HDTV, then a widescreen format is a must. Lighting control and viewing angles and distances will effect what would be the best choice for a display.....and of course $$$$$$$.

If you have the room space and are able to control lighting, the best bang for the buck is RP CRT based TV's. If you have a brightly lit room, and want to be able to view the set from many different angles then plasma might be the better choice.

Mort

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>>What is your budget?

Well, we havn't decided we where going to get one yet. But if we are, I'd say it's going to be a one time purchase that'll last us the next 15 years with any luck. In that case, I bet we'd be willing to go as high as $3000.

>>>Aproximately what size screen are you looking for (or what will be your viewing distance, eyeball to screen)?

We have a 27" one now in a pretty decent size room. I would like to get as big as 40". I would say the couch is about 60 inches away from the TV, and the other couch is even further, so where not as close as eyeball to screen [​IMG].

>>Do you have total light control in the room, thus allowing for a front projector?

Is Front Projector the type of screen where you have to be looking directly at it or the picture dosn't show up that well, or am I thinking about something else? The light isn't exactly optimal in the room. We have one lamp in the front left of the room 60 inches away from our current TV, that's controlled by a Dial. The other is a none to bright fan light. The lamp light does get pretty bright, however...

>>What are your viewing habits (%) TV/DVD's/Games?

Games don't get pla yed on the familly TV. That's relagated to my flat screen monitor on my computer. It's mostly for TV and DVD Movie viewing. I want to try and recreate a movie enviroment, so I would like to get as big a screen as possible....

>>>What type of HD connection are you planning now or in the future (cable/satellite/OTA/None)?

Right now, we have no HD broadcasts. I'm waiting untill HD TV gets a little more widespread before upgrading to IO Cable Service. But it would be nice to have it for HD DVD when it starts to get released..

5. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I think the "light control" question related more to the ability to block light, rather than generate it... [​IMG] In other words, if you have a lot of windows, or strong direct sunlight, you have to worry about reflections and dim pictures. Both of those make rear projection sets tougher to watch and plasmas better because they throw off more light. Also, if you couch is 60 inches away from the tv, and so your head would be maybe 7 or 8 feet, it's a little tight to go to a real big screen. Esp if you get a rear projection which would stand likely 2 1/2 feet from the wall, further shortening the viewing distance.

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Well, the way things are now, we do have a big picture window that throws an annoying light across the screen. But, we can't move the TV because my mother got this huge ass display cabinet that goes straight to the ceiling. If we moved it, we would block the entire window. With a Widescreen TV, we can just simply move it in front of the window and sunlight problem solved..

102 150. I just took exact measurments of the room, and the closest couch is 102 inches away, and the farthest one near the big window is 150 inches away.

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

A front projector (FP) is a setup that has a separate projector and screen, like in the movies. These are for hardcore home theater setups and are most like a commercial theater. A rear projector is a tv that has the CRT's/DLP chip/LCD inside and projects it onto a fresnel screen for viewing. You are probably thinking about a CRT RPTV, which although they have improved greatly, have trouble being viewed clearly from an off angle.

WIth your budget and screen size, I would recommend looking at a 40 or so inch DLP, LCD or CRT RPTV. Best bang for the buck is the CRT, a quality 40-42" should be around $1000-1200. More expensive are the LCD and DLP models. They differ from the CRT in that they are thinner and do not have a large lower half to hold the CRT's. They can be easily placed on/in furniture. They are somewhat brighter than CRT's. They do suffer from lower quality black levels and the DLP's cause headaches and the "rainbow" effect in some people who are susceptible. They also need to have their bulb replaced periodically and the bulbs can be expensive. Do a search for CRT, DLP and LCD in the subject line to read more information about these types than you'll ever need to know.

Edit - At your new (102") distance, figuring in the average depth of a set, you could go as high as 50" or so.

8. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....8&type=product

I was looking around Best Buy to see what selections they had....I was looking at this one especially...even though the price is a bit higher than I think our range is...But if it's a one time purchase that'll last us a long time, I'm sure our price range is negotiable [​IMG].

9. Egbert Berfel

Neil,

-Nevermind.

10. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

Neil,

Not sure if this is personal bias or not, but don't buy Sony. They have been playing off their good name for far too long. There are much better sets out there for less money - Panasonic springs to mind.

Also, I read recently that both Sony and Toshiba are getting out of the Plasma market so you may not get the support you wnat to make the TV last 15 years...

Just exercise a little caution before you jump into plasma. They are VERY cool but personally LCD TV and DLP will give you more bang (and by that I mean screen size) for your hard earned buck. I went with a DLP after a lot of research and testing - and I thought the plasma was the coolest thing out there. What set me off them was the fact that if something goes wrong, you just throw the set away, it is unfixable. That is an expensive paper weight!

Happy shopping!

Dave

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I was thinkning of Panasonic as well, as I love the VCR's they make. Best Buy only has two listings. I'll have to check their official site to see what they have...

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...y=Plasma%20TVs

Is listed on Panasonics site. I would like it to have a Cable CArd slot, so we don't need a bulky box for HDTV broadcasts. Have to look in to see if CAblevision has those available...

12. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Neil,

Thats the tv I own. It's a great display and you would be happy with it. Standard tv even looks decent. As most know, standard tv on many HDTV's (doesnt matter the tech) looks like absolute crap. The cosmetic look is one of the best of the current plasmas if you are into looks. Just realize that it needs care. As much as I love it, I probably wont buy a Plasma again next time in a few years. Not because the pic or sound stink. Neither do by far on this model. If you need very good sound and dont want to buy a seperate home theater audio setup, this model of tv is your guy. They are great out of the box and even better when calibrated. It's just that I hate worrying about burn in. But, you have to worry about this on any Plasma, so it's just common sense or should be for any Plasma buyer. With a reasonable amount of care and common sense (Dont play excessive video games/Dont use it as a computer monitor/Dont watch Spike TV 24/7), you should never have this problem.

A Good Plasma does have one big plus. You will experience depth and an almost 3D-ish experience on good material (HDTV/DVD). A thing I have yet to find on any other technology. I adore the look.

Sony is not going out of the Plasma business completely. They will just be more focused on LCD's. That was a false rumor which Sony claimed wasnt even true in an official announcement.

If LCD Flat Panels are on the level of Plasma Quality (3D-ish look, better black levels, etc) in a few years and of course cheaper, thats probably what I will get next. Why? No burn in or almost impossible image retention period. Great for Video Games, PC Users, and the like.

After owning a Flat Panel TV, I would never ever want to go back to a box tv again. It makes the room look bigger and better. Replacing the tv's and making everything look better and smaller even increased the value of our home which is nice for resale. Not just the tv of course, but I absolutely despise clutter and no space. So, everything is pretty opened up now. Wasnt before.

LCD Flat Panels are way more expensive inch for inch than Plasma. A hell of a lot more.

A Sony Aquos 45 inch (Biggest Flat Panel LCD) is $8000. Compare with a 42 inch HD Plasma for $3000-$5000.

A 22 inch LCD Samsung is $1300+ at stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. This is the cheap end. Bought one of those for gaming bedroom needs.

Rear Projection LCD is a whole different thing. Personally, I dont like them. Especially for black levels if you are at all picky about such things. I watch a lot of dark material which requires a resonable black level. Has the worst black levels are any current technology IMO. Though they are improving with each generation. I would personally go with a big clunker of a CRT Rear Projection before an LCD rear projection one. Personally, I would buy neither at this point. I would go Direct View CRT first if cost is a concern. They can output great pic, but are on the small side. In a year or two, that might change when new technologies are out and the ones we have are even more improved.

P.S. View a DLP before purchasing as they cause motion sickness in some as well as the rainbow effect in others. I like the picture, but cant view one for long period of time. I feel like I am getting the flu which is why I didnt buy one. So make sure anyone viewing this on an all the time basis can handle it. If you dont feel effects, it has a good picture. But, the viewing angles are kind of lame as with any rear projection type display. So, make sure you have a good area. If you have a prime area, viewing angles may nort be all that important.

13. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Also,

That Panasonic model is an EDTV, not HDTV.

Here is the comparison between the two models you are looking at.

Panasonic EDTV: 852 X 480
    Sony HDTV: 1024 X 1024 (ALIS Panel)

Panny does make an HDTV model as well in both 37 inch and 42 inch. Higher models like 50 inch and above as well. They are of course much more money.

If you plan on using for mostly standard and DVD material, the EDTV is a fine choice and may be better for you as it is DVD's native resolution. The Panny is a great set for these uses. If you are 11 feet away or so, HDTV will look just as it does on an HDTV set for most.

If planning to use for HDTV, HD-DVD, Blue Ray (PlayStation 3 and new players for example), Next Gen Gaming Systems (all to support 16:9 HD most likely), etc., you will probably be happier with an HDTV based model in the future. Basically, if you plan on keeping this tv for a very long time, dont think about just now. Think about the future and things you may want to use it for 1/2/3+ years from now.

Also, the higher pixel count reduces screen door effect if you have it (looks like you are watching the pic through a screen door).

You can get huge discounts with anything by paying with cash and avoiding Best Buy type stores. But buyer beware of course.

I made out on the deal. Paid off the Sony 37xs955 immediately and got it for $3300 with 2 year warranty and White Glove Delivery. Would have paid close to $5000 at Best Buy with tax and warranty. If the Tv Blows after that in a few years (though I hope it doent of course. Can always use it to pass down to someone, use it as a spare room set, etc), I will deal with it. By then, displays will be even cheaper and better with more options.

I do understand many dont have that kind of disposible income which is why many charge things. It took me a long time to save it myself for this purpose. I came off a 32 inch GE 1996 tv (which was $349 in 1996). Our first big screen tv. Never had above a 19 inch before that and I was a kid before that.

With the difference, I purchased a 22 inch HDTV LCD for the bedroom (for gaming reasons mostly) and paid off the cable bill for a half a year in advance. I originally was going to buy at Best Buy, but then found the great deal. Of course $3000 is still crazy for a tv, but not as crazy as $5000 for the same thing. Even crazier as my first car only cost $2500 back in 97. lol.

For some, Best Buy stores and the like are fine if you dont care about spending the money and have a good amount of disposible income on hand many times. You have a good return policy and more protection.

14. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I was at Best Buy today with the parents because we had to buy a print cartridge for our printer dock and look at computer furniture.

Got a chance to quickly browse the TV section. Some of the models pictures didn't look all that great, but there was one Panasonic that I really liked. I'll have to go back there to get the model number as I didn't think to write it down at the time..

I think I like the look of the Plasma picture a bit better than the Projection ones, but maby that was just the way these floor models where setup. Have to visit another store to see what they have setup..

15. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Another questoin about Plasmas that my fathers friend just brought up. Do they have burn in from the logo's that statinos have on constantly like the CBS eye?

If so, how long does it take till you start to see a burn in?

16. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

Plasmas are at risk for burn-in.

17. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    I mentioned this in a couple other threads, but I helped my parents negotiate a price of under $3000 for this set at a local Ultimate Electronics...it has an AMAZING picture. I see NO rainbows, or bright spots on this DLP...just a gorgeous picture...oh and NO risk of burn in.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/common/...-DAF829D0A8E0}

Details here

18. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

Nice set! If I didn't see rainbows, DLP is definitely the way I would go.