Maybe building a TV room

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by john_FE, Jan 3, 2006.

1. john_FE

john_FE Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone,

Im finishing a basement and I can partition a room for a dedicated theater room. I have a 7.1(swans + HSU VTF3) and I am planning on a 50 inch DLP. Since this will be a basement, Im not sure what kind of ceiling or floor to use. What do you guys recommend? I was thinking of thick padding and carpet over concrete or a framed subfloor. The subfloor would rattle alot probably and that sub will cause havok. I know the drop ceiling will not be the best for sound proofing but I will insulate between the joists. Any ideas or where I could look into this further?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    There's a dedicated room section right above this one. Also, the DIY channel has a 5 part series on building your own home theater. They will be on again in less than two weeks. link

-Robert

3. Michael Travis

Michael Travis Auditioning

I also would recomend just reading through some older post in both the basic forum and the construction forum (this one). Do a search and you will be floored by all the results. The search button is your best friend in this case, also you may want to be a little more specific as to how you will use your room, will it be for family time movie viewing where everyone is watching shrek and eating popcorn (in this case sound proofing may not be your biggest concern). Or will you be watching war of the worlds at extremely high volume while your kids are sleeping upstairs? Theres alot of variables and it helps to include more information then you think you need when asking a question. Good luck. Mike

4. john_FE

john_FE Stunt Coordinator

I cant believe I missed the HT construction forum:b

I will repost in there. When I do a search the hits are way too much to comb through.

Thanks.