Maybe An Answer Here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin M., Jul 29, 2002.

1. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Auditioning

NEW TO THIS HT GAME(A VERY RELAXING NEW HOBBY SO FAR---SORRY MR SALESPERSON I DID'NT KNOW THE BAZOOKA WAS LOADED)
    HAVE BEEN READING ALL I CAN ON THIS SUBJECT AND I AM MORE CONFUSSED THAN EVER,AFTER ALL THE BS FROM SALESPEOPLE I NEED HELP.
    WHERE DO I START?

I HAVE A VINTAGE PAIR OF ADVENTS THAT STILL SOUND GREAT.ANY IDEAS ON SAT'S AND CENTER THAT WOULD SOUND GOOD WITH THESE OR SHOULD I GO ALL THE WAY WITH NEW L/R'S.WILL BE HOOKING UP TO A YAMAHA RX-V1.THE OLD ADVENTS WOULD BE MY FRONT L/R.
    VIDEO 50%-MUSIC 50%.

2. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

I would make your advents the sat's and go with matching l/r/c speakers. you could even stay with advent but the newer models probably have different tweeters than your older model.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Welcome to HTF!

First, please turn off your capslock key. IT'S THE ONLINE EQUIVALENT OF SHOUTING.

Now to business: The most important thing for home theater is to have speakers whose tonal characteristics match as closely as possible. With older speakers, that's always difficult, because even the same manufacturer will have moved on to different designs, materials, etc. Your best bet is to do what I did recently, when I had to replace my center speaker and couldn't be sure that it would match the rest of my speakers (which are from a discontinued line): buy from a dealer who will let you audition the speakers at home and exchange them for another model if they don't coordinate well with your existing setup.

I wish I could make specific suggestions, but it's been so long since I listened to any model of Advent that I wouldn't know where to begin.

M.

4. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Auditioning

The days of good advents I am afraid are dead and gone.They all change hands so many times its hard to keep up (they all could have changed a million times since I last bought stereo equipment)I like the idea of the demo approach.And the sat idea is another way I can keep these great oldies pumping.I have found a matched set like mine on the web for decent money,would it work if I added these then tried to find a frt and rear center to match(tonal) ie the demo approach.Advents front l/r and as sats.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

as others have already mentioned, timbre matching is critical to proper sound.

it sounds like you may decide to go with centers for front and rear? if so, then you're really going to be in a pinch because now you'll need a rear-center to timbre-match the advents you were going to put in the back to begin with!

with so many speakers, you may want to relegate those advents to a different room and get a balanced set all the way around.

6. Michael Reuben

7. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Auditioning

I am working on 2 pairs of the OLD advents(I know I'm nuts)now if I do find another pair (ie 2 pairs)how would I setup the second pair in this vintage circus.? And yet another little hiccup in this twisted tail,what about the two channels the rx-v1 gives me for backing up the front l/r(35 watts p/c)Please don't tell me to find a third pair of advents (I swear I'll jump of my desk and hurt myself LOL)
    HELP MEEEEEE,HELP MEEEEEE[​IMG]

8. Michael Reuben

I'll have to defer to someone who's familiar with the RX-V1.

I was only half-serious when I suggested using Advents for rear and front center speakers. As a practical matter, it's hard to use a large floor-standing speaker (which is what I assume you have) for a center speaker unless you have a front projection system. With any kind of TV (direct view or RPTV), you'll want the center speaker either on top of the TV or on a stand just below the screen. That really requires a different speaker design. Also, the best center speakers have a wide horizontal dispersion; this is particularly important with the front center so that dialogue is equally audible to people who may not be sitting the "sweet spot" directly facing the TV and speaker.

M.

9. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Auditioning

Nice,real nice,I'm standing on the edge and you give me a push M,nice guy[​IMG] .What are the odds I could build a center and rear to match these oldies any idea where I could find info on this approach.By the way,front projection is the next piece on my list,that is if I live after the fall(thank you very much),and I don't end up in the nut house after the speaker ordeal. [​IMG]

10. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

When I set up my HT, I decided to use my 22 year-old Polks for the fromts and set my receiver to phantomfor thecenter channel. If you aren't having lots of peopleover for movies, some say that this sounds better than using ANY center channel.

Just a thought.