Mayan (Mexican) riviera vacation help

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brett_H, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

My wife and I are planning a trip from Cleveland to the Mexican Riviera in late June/ early July. We're looking for thoughts on the various all-inclusive resorts in the area. We'd like to stay at an adults-only resort, but the prices might force us to stay at a regular resort. Has anybody been to the area?

Some specific questions:
    How far apart are Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, and Akumal? We like the looks of the Bahia Principe Tulum, but is it too far away for a quick ride into Playa Del Carmen for some sight seeing/shopping?
    We've been looking at the Riu family of resorts in the area. There's 4 that seem to be right next to one another, are they actually separate or are they all connected?
    We're not really interested in Cancun because we see it as more of a party scene and we're more interested in relaxing than dancing... is this a fair assessment of Cancun? On the flip side, we don't want to go there and have the resort be a ghost town, if you know what I mean.

Any random thoughts or advice (especially on leads for cheap airfare or package deals) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    -Brett.

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I can't give you answers to the distance questions, but the people here can:

http://mytravelboard4.com/playa/

My wife and I stayed at the Riu Palace in Playa Del Carmen on our honeymoon last year. It was an absolutely beautiful resort. It won't be a "ghost town" by any stretch, but it probably won't feel overcrowded to you. It's a very laid-back place. Very, very few children, but it isn't an "adults-only" place. Families with kids just don't go there because the resort just doesn't have anything to offer kids. You can see some pictures of the place on my website.

The Riu hotels are sort of connected, and as a guest of the Palace, you could go to any of them to eat & drink. The Palace has the best beach of the bunch.

3. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Brett - I own a timeshare at the Mayan Palace, which is located between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. Take a look at it here: Mayan Palace. It isn't all-inclusive and IMO that's a good thing. The food isn't very good at most of the all-inclusive places. You're better off going to the local restaurants. I have a 2BR, 2BA with a kitchen that I could rent to you at a great price. Let me know if you're interested!

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    We have been down there 2 different times, the first just the wife and I. We went to Club Oasis http://www.playaguide.com/resorts/oasisakumal.html which I highly recomend. Snorkeling was great and I don't recall seeing to many kids. The last time was just a couple months ago and we went to http://www.playaguide.com/resorts/cameleonmarival.html . This time we took our 4 boys and again had a great time but snorkling was not as great. The beach at Club Oasis was soft white sand and went way out into the ocean where Cameleon was rockier.

Wes

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I think your assessment of Cancun is very fair. I didn't like Cancun too much at all. Take a look at Cozumel. It's a little island off the coast of Mexico close to Cancun. I liked Cozumel much better than Cancun and there are a few all-inclusive places on Cozumel.

7. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Guys,

thanks for all the good suggestions. I started poking around http://mytravelboard4.com/playa/ and sort of lost track of this thread!

We did some more looking and pricing this weekend, and it looks like the Bahia Principe resorts are not too far from Playa Del Carmen, and they offer a free daily shuttle to the city. we're currently getting more prices from some local travel agents as well as shopping around the 'net, so hopefully between the two we'll find a package in our price range.

Oh, and Tim: we're interested in an all-inclusive more from a planning standpoint. We're both the type who like to have things planned out, and if we had to forage for all our meals we'd have no idea how much money we'd need, etc. Just a little too much hassle for our first time in the area. Thanks for the offer, though.

-Brett.

8. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

No problem Brett, just thought I'd offer. [​IMG] Enjoy your trip and make sure to visit Chichen Itza. It's an amazing place!

9. Shane Roach

Shane Roach Stunt Coordinator

Agreed, Chichen Itza is definitely worth a day trip from anywhere in the Yucatan peninsula. I went there four years ago, and it just happened to be the week of the vernal equinox. As sunset approaches on the equinoxes, the image of a Mayan snake-god (whose name escapes me) is formed in shadows on the north stairway of the main temple pyramid. It's an impressive sight, and a great testament to the precision with which the city was designed and constructed. If I'm ever in that part of the world again I'll definitely make a return visit.

On topic, we went to the El Dorado resort. I have no experience with other all-inclusives, so I can't rank it, but I was very pleased with the facilities, amenities, and atmosphere. Depending on the sort of activities you enjoy, you might consider a place that has sister resorts nearby. These generally give you access to recreational activities and restaurants at any of their affiliated sites.