What's new

May The Fourth Be With You, Revenge of the Sixth - a Party (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
IMG_0002.JPG

I've never celebrated Star Wars Day. But my enthusiasm is rekindled by a new movie room, new Star Wars movies and playing the tabletop game Armada. To celebrate, I'm celebrating tomorrow with friends a viewing of the full trilogy.

The playlists are:

Viewing 1:
  • Superman Theatrical Trailer
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind Theatrical Trailer
  • Personal Cinema Stinger 1 :)
  • Star Wars (DE)
  • Misc Sci-fi Music

Viewing 2
  • ESB Underoos Ad
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark Theatrical Trailer
  • Alien Theatrical Trailer
  • Personal Cinema Stinger 2
  • The Empire Strikes Back (DE)
  • Misc Sci-fi Music
Viewing 3
  • Star Trek II Theatrical Trailer
  • E.T. Theatrical Trailer
  • Personal Cinema Stinger 3
  • Return of the Jedi (DE)
  • Grab bag of Awesome '80s Trailers

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Cute :D

I'm actually catching up on the oldies. TNT is showing them today, of course with commercials, but not bad.

I didn't realize it until now, but have never seen them in Hi-Def. Bought the "Silver" widescreen VHS tapes and later got the DVDs, but HDTVs weren't really available yet, so saw them letterboxed on a 36 inch, Toshiba 4:3 TV.

The newer "enhanced, tweaked" versions look great, I may actually break down, get the Blu-Rays and see them as they were meant to be seen.

Hopefully you're including a trailer for "The Breakfast Club". Other than "Aliens", one of my favorite films from the '80s. :)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've had this party in mind since last year. My wife made the tickets for me, and also spontaneously came up with the rice-crispy treats.

Our friends were surprised and enthused by the tickets; one said she'll use it for a bookmark which is nice to hear they might have life beyond the party.

This also gave me a motivation to figure out playlists in my HTPC software, to execute the pre-roll trailers, theater stinger, and movie as one seamless experience.

But the best moment was during Star Wars, as Obi Wan and company entered Mos Eisley, a friend and long-time Star Wars fan exclaimed, "Wait! Is this the original cut?!?!". And then when Han Shot First he shouted something to the effect, "Oh my gosh, this is the real Star Wars!!!". It was great watching the original trilogy in 720p.

But I also learned that marathon parties don't suit my social group. We had a full house for Star Wars. The Star Wars crowd all left and another couple joined us for ESB. And my wife and I watched Jedi by ourselves. It was a good time. But this means we won't try a "Indiana Jones" or "Captain America" multi-movie event in the future. We'll stick with single-movie parties in the future. It's much easier to schedule and get a full crowd for one-movie "John Wick" or "Guardians of the Galaxy" event.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
But the best moment was during Star Wars, as Obi Wan and company entered Mos Eisley, a friend and long-time Star Wars fan exclaimed, "Wait! Is this the original cut?!?!". And then when Han Shot First he shouted something to the effect, "Oh my gosh, this is the real Star Wars!!!". It was great watching the original trilogy in 720p.
It's great that you have the original cut. HTF made me aware of the SS editions (in 1080p!), which REALLY take me back to 1977.

Last edited:

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's great that you have the original cut. HTF made me aware of the SS editions (in 1080p!), which REALLY take me back to 1977.
I looked at those. They have their merits, particularly 1080p. But I prefer the DE over the SS versions, especially for a party of mixed Star-Wars nerdery. :) (and I haven't been able to acquire the SS version of Jedi yet).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I looked at those. They have their merits, particularly 1080p. But I prefer the DE over the SS versions, especially for a party of mixed Star-Wars nerdery. :) (and I haven't been able to acquire the SS version of Jedi yet).

Okay, apparently I'm losing ground on my techie nerd jargon, must have been spending to much time living in a cave.

What do SS and DE mean? Silver Screen, Disabled Extra-Terrestrials?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Okay, apparently I'm losing ground on my techie nerd jargon, must have been spending to much time living in a cave.

What do SS and DE mean? Silver Screen, Disabled Extra-Terrestrials?

Silver Screen Edition and Despecialized Edition.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
View attachment 37970

I've never celebrated Star Wars Day. But my enthusiasm is rekindled by a new movie room, new Star Wars movies and playing the tabletop game Armada. To celebrate, I'm celebrating tomorrow with friends a viewing of the full trilogy.

The playlists are:

Viewing 1:
  • Superman Theatrical Trailer
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind Theatrical Trailer
  • Personal Cinema Stinger 1 :)
  • Star Wars (DE)
  • Misc Sci-fi Music

Viewing 2
  • ESB Underoos Ad
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark Theatrical Trailer
  • Alien Theatrical Trailer
  • Personal Cinema Stinger 2
  • The Empire Strikes Back (DE)
  • Misc Sci-fi Music
Viewing 3
  • Star Trek II Theatrical Trailer
  • E.T. Theatrical Trailer
  • Personal Cinema Stinger 3
  • Return of the Jedi (DE)
  • Grab bag of Awesome '80s Trailers
Do you have a way to play all the shorts and the movie without break, or do you just shuffle discs? You have learned thru experience that folks just can't do more than one movie anymore. When I was a kid I did double features frequently. Now I put on a movie in the evening and it's an exception when I make thru the whole thing. :P

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm out of the loop when it comes to the whole "original, original" version of these movies etc. I have a VHS box set (flat box/widescreen edition) of all three (4,5,6) buried somewhere from years ago and maybe they were the originals? Not sure.

So where did you get your "DE" versions? Burned from a VHS copy to DVD? Other means?

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm out of the loop when it comes to the whole "original, original" version of these movies etc. I have a VHS box set (flat box/widescreen edition) of all three (4,5,6) buried somewhere from years ago and maybe they were the originals? Not sure.
It sounds like you're describing the 'faces' VHS tapes which have the face of Vader on Star Wars, a stormtrooper on Empire and Yoda on Jedi. If so, those are the original versions.

So where did you get your "DE" versions? Burned from a VHS copy to DVD? Other means?
Yeah, the Despecialized Editions are bootlegs so they're only available via other means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nesiancoco
Recent bookmarks